Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ra2 system - newbie

Ra2 system - newbie

Hi there,

Wondering if lutron radio ra2 system can run in bell fibe service with the bell pods - without a third party router.

I live in Toronto and have a router (ubiquiti) and experience terrible Wi-Fi with a repeater on each floor. I have no wifi as soon as I walk into my backyard and see 250mps at most inside. Service is bell fibe GIG service.

I do have a full ceiling sonos system and outdoor cameras so total of some 35 wifi connections.

My home is 4400 sq ft so big-ish but have not been able to find a router which can accommodate lutron requirements and provide reliable high speed wifi.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Im not overly familiar with "bell pods", however I can assure you that connecting a RadioRA2 main repeater to an unsecured / unprotected network is a recipe for immediate disaster. I too have a 4500+ sq home (with symmetrical gig service) and you'll need to understand what Radio RA2 is actually doing (its nothing with wi-fi by the way), or employ a company that can design and install both systems for you.Ubiquiti makes some decent kit (I have quite a bit installed personally) but that too needs to be properly setup. What I can offer is that a single wi-fi device servicing a 4500 sq home isnt a reality either. I have 7 access points throughout my residence (interior and exterior) and it was a real challenge to get that right and reliable. WiFi isnt going to be a speed thing either, if your looking for speed stick to wired. Ubiquiti kit at 250 mbps really isnt all that bad. Personally I prefeer wired for things like cameras, phones, audio - and have just over 100 wired drops in my home, but then again I also run a small datacenter in my utility room (dont ask... its really overkill for a residence).What I can offer is that neither system is really a DIY system, if your not overly familiar get some training - Lutron has some decent on-line training for RA2, and after "poo poo'ing" the 3 day class requirement for Inclusive, I really thought that was an excellent resource and time well spent. I have gone back the the material several times in my RA2 journey. As for Ubiquity, lets just say for me its an occupational hazard as Im a long time tech veteran and know my way around a network quite well.