Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: General question about Diva Smart Dimmer 3-way

General question about Diva Smart Dimmer 3-way

I'm about to move into my new construction home. Currently everything is just standard switches. No dimmers. Nothing smart. I want to install the Smart Diva Dimmer Switches in a few locations. I understand about the Hub etc. Where I'm having trouble is with the switches that are 3-way (I think I'm using the right term - a set of lights that can be turned on or off from 2 different switches).

This is the case with the kitchen lights - they can be turned on by a switch in the kitchen or by a switch in the adjacent dining room. If I want to add a dimmer to the kitchen lights, is it OK to add the Diva Smart Dimmer to one switch and just leave the other switch as is? Or do I need to install a smart dimmer on both switches. (I understand that if I install the smart dimmer on only one switch then I won't be able to physically dim the lights on the other switch.) And I know they come with that Pico remote but I hate the way that looks. Would prefer to leave my dumb rockers in place that came with the house as long as they won't cause a problem.

Thanks,
    Brad

Lutron Technical Support
    The Diva smart dimmer can be wired in a 3-way with an existing mechanical on/off switch so long as the existing switch is rewired using the included jumper wire. Alternatively, you can also use the Claro Smart Accessory Switch (DVRF-AS) in a 3-way with the Diva smart dimmer. The only thing you can not do in this application is wire 2 Diva smart dimmers in a 3-way as this would cause the lights to flash or strobe.

Here is the wiring diagram for the DVRF-6L in a 3-way with a mechanical switch: https://webapiaw1proddat01st01.blob....93_Page_81.pdf

3. Likes randyc liked this post
    Great! Thank you for your help.