Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Controlling a Single MR16 without using a RRD-PRO

Controlling a Single MR16 without using a RRD-PRO

Friends:I need advice on the simplest combination of pre-PRO RRa2 dimmer, 12V transformer & a single LED (~7.5W) or halogen (~35W) bulb .It seems that any of the pre-PRO RRD dimmers, e.g. 6ND, will not work with electronic drivers/transformers......I am considering using a small magnetic transformer, but am unsure I will be able to find one small enough to fit in the wall junction box from which this cable track, single MR16 fixture hangs..... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...... Richard
    ~~~Richard___ Santa Cruz, CA

Prior to the PRO, the RRD-6NA was the ELV dimmer. It would auto detect the load type. I typically forced it to forward or reverse so it would not change.

If you are looking at MLV transformers make sure it is rated for a single LED bulb.

There are some ELV drivers that are thumb size. I would NOT put it in the wallbox.

I think it would be easier to replace the track head.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Prior to the PRO, the RRD-6NA was the ELV dimmer. It would auto detect the load type. I typically forced it to forward or reverse so it would not change. If you are looking at MLV transformers make sure it is rated for a single LED bulb. There are some ELV drivers that are thumb size. I would NOT put it in the wallbox. I think it would be easier to replace the track head.
    I really appreciate your response Randy, as I am at a loss as to how to proceed.First, I would prefer to use a small electronic transformer/driver rather than a MLV one. But, I am under the impression that no MLV will work with any of the pre-PRO RRa dimmers.Perhaps this is a wrong assumption....The system worked for 8 years with a RRD-6CL and a single 35W halogen & this ELV: [url]https://ltftechnology.com/ltf-ta-te-tu-60w-12v-24v-elv-0-10v-dimmable-no-minimum-load-electronic-transformers...Model TA60WA12LED-0000 by LTF Technology. But, eventually the voltage dropped too low and the 6CL always had output voltage whether On or Off. Was the 6CL the wrong choice?*** So, Randy, do you think I could use this ELV transformer/driver (above) with a RRD-6NA programmed to Reverse Phase with either a single MR16 35W halogen or a 7.5W Soraa LED?That is the question, and thank you so very much for your time, Richard

https://ltftechnology.com/ltf-ta-te-...-transformers/ This is the ELV transformer/driver I have and referred to in the previous message.

Sure would appreciate some input.

If anyone can help me with this dilemma, I would be really grateful.Richard

Lutron Technical Support
    Thank you for the inquiry ROrser.Lutron offers application note #559 for these applications. This document covers MR16 loads, both halogen and LED, on MLV and ELV drivers/transformers with their respective dimming controls. I have linked it below:

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ary/048559.pdf

7. Thanks JohnNied thanked for this post
    Thank you. The App Note advises to use a PRO dimmer. But, I need to know what worked BEFORE the PRO was created. After reviewing AN #559 I am still wondering if I could effectively use a HALOGEN 35W MR16 bulb with a RRD-6NA and a simple ELV 12V transformer like this: https://ltftechnology.com/ltf-ta-te-...nsformers/This thread is entitled Controlling a single MR16 WITHOUT USING A RRD-PRO, and the App Note really does not address this issue. I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the original RRa2 devices. Thank you, R

The RRD-6NA is the discontinued ELV dimmer that was replaced by the PRO. As long as it’s programmed to reverse phase I think you’ll be fine with that transformer and either halogen or LED lamp. I definitely think the halogen will be great, the LED may depend on how well it likes the transformer.
    But as others have said I wouldn’t put the transformer in the wall box unless it’s documentation recommends doing so

I don't think you are meeting the minimum wattage of the PRO dimmer, even in reverse phase. You could add an LUT-PLC shunt capacitor to it. Apparently it's an approved way from Lutron if you're in reverse phase and have a neutral wire for it.