Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Design validation

Design validation

Hi, First post, but I've been reading up.I'm doing a gut renovation of my urban loft apartment. 1600 square feet, all one floor. LED/MLV/ELV/Low voltage, possibly shades, probably not audio. I have some quotes for installers using Radio RA2, but that seems excessive and then I'm in a bit of a closed system and require their assistance for changes in the future. I want to tweak & geek a little here and there, experimenting with a couple Zwave and or IFFTT scenarios, perhaps setting up an iPad with a Home Assistant floor layout home screen. But that's down the line. The concept I'm considering is to have only a few visible 4-button switches for the sort of "top hits" of the scenes I want to execute. I wouldn't have any dimmers directly wired as switches, but instead bury the dimmers in a closet and use the 4 button switches in several locations to activate scenes wirelessly. I'm having the GC wire the gang box into 9 switch locations so that in the future I could put in something like Brilliant or Orro or if Lutron ever puts in a touch screen. We would then use the app or Alexa/Google/Apple to access anything for individual commands or tweaks.Right now looking at about 40 dimmers in 10 zones: Entry, Kitchen, Dining, Living, Den, Bedroom 1, Loft in bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Bathroom 1, Bathroom 2I'm thinking Caseta set up in a closet near the breaker box for the various dimmers.I'd then have 1-2 four-button wireless switches (https://www.lbclighting.com/products...saAu9pEALw_wcB) in each of the above 9 locations. For example: in the entry, scene 1 might control the entry lights, scene 2 might add some kitchen lights as that's the next zone in, and the third scene might light up a few of the dining area lights even further in. Scene 4 may be all off or a 4th set of lights.So to summarize, about 40 dimmers in a closet controlling single and groups of lights. 4 button scene remotes to do the heavy lifting, with voice and/or app to do any fine tuning or changes from the default scene.Oh, and I would have a fan Pico right at the site near a fan so that it is controlling the fan directly. That can be wired right there or could also be remote I suppose.Three questions: 1) Thoughts? Any issues?2) Any thoughts on whether to wire the fan near the fan or also bury the dimmer and use a remote?3) I think there are separate models for LED and ELV, but how do I handle 0-10V dimmable lights with Caseta? I think for the 0-10V one has to use this adapter: https://www.lutron.com/technicaldocu...ry/grx-tvi.pdf, paired with PD-5NE belowFor the ELV: PD-5NE shown in this document, page 5, https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...987_ENG.pdfAnd for LED, PD-6WCL, shown in the same document same pageFor Fan: PD-FSQN, same document, page 4I think that covers all the types of lights? Do I need to put this little gizmo with everything to keep the buzz down? https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...369987_ENG.pdf page 10Thanks,

Tried to reformat. Didn't work.

Fixed below.........

Fixed below..........

Hi, First post, but I've been reading up.I'm doing a gut renovation of my urban loft apartment. 1600 square feet, all one floor. LED/MLV/ELV/Low voltage, possibly shades, probably not audio. I have some quotes for installers using Radio RA2, but that seems excessive and then I'm in a bit of a closed system and require their assistance for changes in the future. I want to tweak & geek a little here and there, experimenting with a couple Zwave and or IFFTT scenarios, perhaps setting up an iPad with a Home Assistant floor layout home screen. But that's down the line.

The concept I'm considering is to have only a few visible 4-button switches for the sort of "top hits" of the scenes I want to execute. I wouldn't have any dimmers directly wired as switches, but instead bury the dimmers in a closet and use the 4 button switches in several locations to activate scenes wirelessly. I'm having the GC wire the gang box into 9 switch locations so that in the future I could put in something like Brilliant or Orro or if Lutron ever puts in a touch screen. We would then use the app or Alexa/Google/Apple to access anything for individual commands or tweaks.

Right now looking at about 40 dimmers in 10 zones: Entry, Kitchen, Dining, Living, Den, Bedroom 1, Loft in bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Bathroom 1, Bathroom 2.

I'm thinking Caseta set up in a closet near the breaker box for the various dimmers. I'd then have 1-2 four-button wireless switches (https://www.lbclighting.com/products...saAu9pEALw_wcB) in each of the above 9 locations. For example: in the entry, scene 1 might control the entry lights, scene 2 might add some kitchen lights as that's the next zone in, and the third scene might light up a few of the dining area lights even further in. Scene 4 may be all off or a 4th set of lights.

So to summarize, about 40 dimmers in a closet controlling single and groups of lights. 4 button scene remotes to do the heavy lifting, with voice and/or app to do any fine tuning or changes from the default scene. Oh, and I would have a fan Pico right at the site near a fan so that it is controlling the fan directly. That can be wired right there or could also be remote I suppose.

Three questions:
    1) Thoughts? Any issues?
    2) Any thoughts on whether to wire the fan near the fan or also bury the dimmer and use a remote?
    3) I think there are separate models for LED and ELV, but how do I handle 0-10V dimmable lights with Caseta? I think for the 0-10V one has to use this adapter:
    https://www.lutron.com/technicaldocu...ry/grx-tvi.pdf, paired with PD-5NE below.

- For the ELV: PD-5NE shown in this document, page 5, https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...987_ENG.pdfAnd
    - For LED, PD-6WCL, shown in the same document same page
    - For Fan: PD-FSQN, same document, page 4I think that covers all the types of lights? Do I need to put this little gizmo with everything to keep the buzz down?
    https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...369987_ENG.pdf page 10

Thanks,

Take a close look at those Pico 4-button remotes. Contrary to what Lutron says, they are NOT KEYPADS! The L31 has 3-scenes and off. Think of it as high/medium/low and off. You can't have button 1 turn the dining on/off, button 2 turn the kitchen on/off, etc. The L21 has scene 1 on/off and scene 2 on/off. It's probably gong to take a lot of Picos to get the control you want. Each Pico takes 1 of the 75 allowed addresses.

Take a close look at IFFTT. It's not very user friendly.

Lutron fan controls will only work with fans that have a pull-chain. Those are getting to be hard to find. Leave the switch remote and use the fan provided remote to control it from the room.

I would avoid 10v controls. If you have to, yes you will need the TVI. You will need to make sure you don't exceed the amperage rating on the 10v output of the TVI.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hello,

I think what you’re trying to accomplish, can be done with Caséta, with the 75 device limit, 45 or so loads, 29 Picos and the 1 Hub.

I have installed a complete Caséta Lighting Control system in my home. My installation was a Retrofit Install. I replaced existing dimmers, switches, Grafik-Eyes with Caséta dimmers and devices. I also installed new circuits of control, expanding on what was already existing.

Every single lighting source is controlled through Caséta, basic, architectural, task, accent, decorative, closet, fan, art studio, holiday lighting. I have control from the actual dimmer / switch device (Local) or from an Individual Pico or a Scene Pico. I have the ability to hit one button at my door, as I leave, and EVERY Single light goes OUT. When I arrive HOME, Caséta / Lutron’s Geofencing, turns on my Arriving Home scene.

Some devices were installed where previous devices were, others are in custom 2 Gang / 4 Gang Boxes, new install or are the Caséta Lamp Dimmers. For example, this gave me the ability in the bedroom, control of 2 lighting circuits by the entrance door, from the actual device, then use individual Picos by the bedside for control.

You have to analize how you plan to “Live In Your Space”. Ask yourself questions. When I walk in, “Do I want to be able to just turn on some lights in the bedroom, or do I want to go to a Scene ? That will determine whether you place your devices by your bedroom door, or just a Scene Pico, and bury the devices.

Go through the same process throughout your home. In the kitchen, where you might have several loads that are accent or decorative (under cabinet lights, inside cabinet lights, accent, and pendants), these devices could be buried in a closet. But your task lighting, counters, path lighting, would all be accesable from at least a wall point. You would add 4 Button Scene Picos for your varied scene control where needed.

I was also looking for a variety of scene control options, with out of the box flexibility and norms. For the most programming flexibility you will want to stay away from the Standard “-L*1” Series Picos. With these Picos, whatever devices are linked, will be controlled as a group, NOT individually. ALSO the bottom button is MANDATORY OFF.

The MOST Flexible 4 Button Scene Picos will be the “P01, P02, P03, P11, P12, P13, P14 and EL2”. The EL2 being the Custom Engraved Pico. The 2 Button Entry / Bedside Pico “P01, P02, P11, P12” is also fully programable. The 2 Button Pico I believe can also be Custom Engraved, check with Lutron Customer Service.

Adding the Caséta Fan control I think only works with certain fan models. If you’re certain that you want to control it through Caséta, then make sure you locate a comparable model. Other option would be to get a remote controlled fan, and use the remote that comes with the fan.

As far as integrating RGB, set it up like you normally would. Use a standard LED remote for control. Then add a Caséta Switch to turn it On / Off.

0 - 10 V control, contact Lutron Tech Support directly

Here is a listing of my Caséta System :

All of my 4 button Picos Standard and Engraved are in the TMN finish, Satin Midnight. All other Picos are in the Standard GWH finish, Gloss White.

Qty
    Model Description
    Caséta Hub
    PD-6WCL-WH / BL Wall Dimmer
    PD-5NE-BL ELV Dimmer
    PD-3PCL-WH Lamp Dimmer
    PD-5ANS-WH Switch w / Neutral
    Devices

PJ2-3BRL-GWH-L01 3 Button with Raise / Lower
    PJ2-2B-GWH-L01 2 Button Lights Pico
    PJ2-4B-GWH-P01 4 Button Family Room Pico
    PJ2-4B-GWH-P02 4 Button Kitchen Pico