Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer - PD-3PCL - light flickers after powered off

Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer - PD-3PCL - light flickers after powered off

I am using a Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer - PD-3PCL which I have had for over 1.5 years and has been working fine with a CFL bulb. I have it configured as per the instructions in "Converting a Plug-In Lamp Dimmer to a Switch to Control Non-Dim Loads (Lights Only) (PD-3PCL)" so that it only acts as a on and off switch for the light which is done by holding down the on and off button until the indicator light flashes. So the issue is that when I hit off, the CFL bulb will keep flickering for 1-2 minutes in pulses. I have already tried doing a factory reset of the dimmer by rapidly tap "on" 3 times and on 3rd tap, hold "on" until lights dim up and down where I immediately tap "on" 3 times rapidly which causes the connected lights to alternate between dim and bright slowly. After that, I have changed it to a switch to control Non-Dim Loads and the bulb still flickers in pulses for 1-2 minutes when I hit the Off button on the actual dimmer itself. I have verified that I am in the control mode because the up and own buttons don't do anything when it's in the non-dim load mode. Could the dimmer be defective or does the CFL actually still hold electricity even after power has been cut to it? Thanks for any help in advance!

Lutron Technical Support
    Have you tried to use a different light bulb, maybe an incandescent? It is possible that the leaking current is making the cfl bulb turn on slightly and making it flicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Maja A. View Post
    Have you tried to use a different light bulb, maybe an incandescent? It is possible that the leaking current is making the cfl bulb turn on slightly and making it flicker.
    Not yet, but will try that soon. Wouldn't a current leak actually damage the incandescent bulb though? I thought as a switch, it was not supposed to be leaking current when it's off as I thought it either supplied current when on or 0 current when off unless the CFL actually has a capacitor inside where there is still some stored current even when the power is completely turned off.

Phantom Load

Hi,

First of all, does the load meet the minimum load for the switch you are using? I think is 10W on that one.
    Second, is the LED bulb compatible with that switch? (did you change the bulb recently or have you tried with a different bulb?)
    Third, have you tried using a LUT-MLC to see if that solves the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Maja A. View Post
    Does the PD-3PCL leak current even when in switch (non-dimmable) mode? If so, is there a Caseta plug-in option that is a true on/off switch without current stealing? I frequently have loads that will not work correctly if there is current leakage.

Lutron Technical Support
    Technically, all of our units will draw the following power when in the off state:

• PD-6WCL: 0.2W
    • PD-10NXD: 0.34W
    • PD-5NE: 0.27W
    • PD-3PCL: 0.1W
    • PD-5WS-DV: 0.49W
    • PD-6ANS: 0.29W
    • PD-5ANS: 0.29W
    • PD-15OUT-BL: 6.8 mA​​

However, the PD-15OUT-BL will have the least amount of draw.

Thanks. My question was about current leakage through the load, not current draw on the line. But thank you for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Technically, all of our units will draw the following power when in the off state:

• PD-6WCL: 0.2W
    • PD-10NXD: 0.34W
    • PD-5NE: 0.27W
    • PD-3PCL: 0.1W
    • PD-5WS-DV: 0.49W
    • PD-6ANS: 0.29W
    • PD-5ANS: 0.29W
    • PD-15OUT-BL: 6.8 mA​​

However, the PD-15OUT-BL will have the least amount of draw.