Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scheduling outdoor light problem

Scheduling outdoor light problem

I've scheduled an outdoor light to come on at sunset. The light can have two states: solid light or flame. With previous smart switch not the same brand,the light would come on as a flame and that is what I want. With scheduling Caseta to come on at sunset it is never in the flame state. I tried to schedule switch to come on and off a minute or two to try to get light to turn itself into a flame state, does not work. I have to manually turn it off then on to get flame state. Any suggestions as to be able to schedule flame state?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Richeguy,

Could you please provide the model number of the bulb that is being used? Usually these bulbs needs to see a quick on and off command in order to trigger the other mode. Having the schedules be a minute apart may not be fast enough for the bulb to detect this as a command.

It is a Globe led flame bulb, E26 medium base. I purchased it at Canadian Tire.

Lutron Technical Support
    Does the LED bulb default to solid light? If not, could you enter the bulb into the flame state manually from the dimmer, then will it continue to come on in the flame state by scheduling?

It sounds like the bulb needs to be turned on and off within a few seconds in order to enter flame state. Unfortunately, scheduling does not allow for events to be activated within seconds of one another.

It's a regular Lutron Smart Switch. The first state is solid light. Which happens when the scheduled time turns it on. If I turn the light off and on again it will be a flame. I used to have a WeMo switch, it would schedule it on to a flame right away. I also use IFTTT. I stopped using IFTTT because we have to pay for it now.

Lutron Technical Support
    If a third-party integration could support an automation that turns the Caseta switch on/off within a few seconds, it may be possible to get this to come on in the flame state. However, natively from the Lutron app the switch cannot be activated automatically fast enough (on/off/on) to support the flame feature.

I will try calling Lutron Friday to see what they say. If it's a no can do, I will try a Levington switch to see if it can do it...

I just spoke to a Lutron tech. and it seems that Caseta switch is un able to trigger the flame state. So I decided to try another switch by Levington and it works. It lights up as a flame right away. I wonder why this is so.

Lutron Technical Support
    Thanks for updating us with your findings. We are sorry to hear that the Caseta switch did not meet your expectations. From your testing, it is clear that the bulb interfaces differently on the Leviton and original smart switch that was installed. As to why the bulb cannot come on in a flame state with a Caseta switch we cannot quite explain. You are welcome to send us an email to support@lutron.com and we can get our engineering team involved.