Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Switch Choice for bathroom heater/fan/light

Switch Choice for bathroom heater/fan/light

Homeowner wants ALL switches in the house on RA2, but I am challenged by the bathroom fan/heater/light. I think this pulls more than even the 10D would handle, is there any thoughts about how to integrate the Nutone 9093WH into RA2?

Specs:

http://www.nutone.com/common/product...4-9936dabc1958

You don't want to be dimming the heater or the fan. For those use 8ANS... I suspect the light is just a single bulb, do a 6D or 6CL should work. These are generally wired with a separate hot for each function, so you'd just need 3 switches to control it... One or all could conceivably be hidden in the attic above the bathroom if accessible...

It is actually already installed and run with one switch (there is other lighting in the bathroom, so the light is redundant and the heater and light just go on together). I am the system designer not the main electrician, so the 8ANS will be okay running 120 volts, 1717 watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I am the system designer not the main electrician, so the 8ANS will be okay running 120 volts, 1717 watts?
    No. 1717 watts is just short of 15amp. Way too much, even for the nearly bombproof 8ANS. If you input that wattage into the design of the switch, you'll see the software adds a PHPM-SW switch module to handle the increased load. Wiring would be difficult if the walls aren't open. Otherwise, you'll have to hide the PHPM in a cabinet, closet, or high on the wall.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

What type wall switch (or switches) do I need for a Panasonic FV-11VHL2 bathroom exhaust fan that includes an exhaust fan, heater, light, & night light? I'm replacing an old unit that has all the same functions except the night light & the old unit uses a 3-toggle (fan, heater, light) switch in one regular sized box. Apparently, Panasonic doesn't make the switches. I assume I'll need a 4-function switch to handle the extra night light...is that correct? If so, is there a 4-function switch out there that fits in one regular sized box? Or do I have to add a second single sized box, or use a double sized box, or what? If I have to add a second single sized box, would it be advisable to keep the fan & two light functions in one box & install a rotary-type timer switch in a second box for the heater? And who makes whatever switches you may recommendation?Actually my electrician(http://bkelectricservices.com/electr...es-and-dimmers) suggested me to use 4-Function 20 Amp Switch Combo, so what you guys suggest??I really appreciate any advice.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Looking at the spec sheet of the unit, what functionality are you looking to have in the Radio Ra2 system? A 1400 watt heating unit would need a robust switching relay like the LMJ-16R-DV-B or an RRD-8ANS with a PHPM-SW power booster. I see it also has (2) 13 watt ballasted CFL lights, for that you would need another RRD-8ANS and if you want control of the nightlight, then that would be a 3rd control switch. All these controls could be mounted remotely and then controlled through a keypad mounted in the bathroom.

Quote Quote
    What type wall switch (or switches) do I need for a Panasonic FV-11VHL2 bathroom exhaust fan that includes an exhaust fan, heater, light, & night light? I'm replacing an old unit that has all the same functions except the night light & the old unit uses a 3-toggle (fan, heater, light) switch in one regular sized box. Apparently, Panasonic doesn't make the switches. I assume I'll need a 4-function switch to handle the extra night light...is that correct? If so, is there a 4-function switch out there that fits in one regular sized box? Or do I have to add a second single sized box, or use a double sized box, or what? If I have to add a second single sized box, would it be advisable to keep the fan & two light functions in one box & install a rotary-type timer switch in a second box for the heater? And who makes whatever switches you may recommendation?Actually my electrician suggested me to use 4-Function 20 Amp Switch Combo, so what you guys suggest??I really appreciate any advice.
    What is your experience when buying a bathroom fan. Can you share? And what is the best price do you suggest?
    Thanks.