Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron Maestro MA-LFQ35

Question Lutron Maestro MA-LFQ35

Greetings!We have a ceiling fan with a 4-bulb light fixture. The fan switch of the original Lutron Maestro MA-LFQ35 combo switch quit working, but the light side continued to work, including dimming. I could not find the same switch online, and went to a local electrical / lighting store where I was sold a Lutron Maestro MA-FQH-WH switch. I installed the switch, but is does not work. I contacted Lutron Help and was told that the new switch needs another circuit added between the fan/light assembly and the switch. The challenge with that is that the assembly was installed during home constructin over 20 years ago and there is no was to add another wire.I just need a switch to replace the LFQ35 that will use the original wiring. I want to maintain both the dimmer on the lights as well as the speed control on the fan.Any / all suggestions are greatly appreciated!- - Dave

Hello Dave,To clarify, was the replacement that you sold the MACL-LFQ? The MA-FQ is not a valid part. The MA-LFQ35 was part of the MA-FQM combo kit that came with the wall control (MA-LFQ35M) and the canopy unit (CM-L300FQ1). It is no longer in production but there is possibility if you continue to look around online or possibility if a local certified Lutron dealer/electrical warehouse still has stock you can obtain one.The date codes of both devices have to match, so both the wallbox control and the canopy unit that is up in the canopy of your fan/light combo need to be replaced. Other than this if you are not able to run a separate wire so there is a separate switch leg for the fan and for the light portion to use the MACL-LFQ, you could install an analog switch such as the CA-1PS or a digital on/off switch such as the neutral requried MA-S8AM. However these would be on/off functionality only as all of our current fan and light control offerings require two separate switch legs, and work without the canopy unit. If you have any other questions our tech support can be reached at (1-888-588-7661) or via email at support@lutron.com

Most electricians run a 3-wire cable for ceiling fans. That gives you 1 switch leg for the fan, 1 for the light and a neutral. If you have a 3-wire cable you can remove the old canopy module and use a MACL-LFQ.

You can find MA-LFQ35 controls on eBay. The canopy module may also be bad.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Unhappy Replacing Lutron Maestro MA-LFQ35

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy B. View Post
    Hello Dave,To clarify, was the replacement that you sold the MACL-LFQ? The MA-FQ is not a valid part. The MA-LFQ35 was part of the MA-FQM combo kit that came with the wall control (MA-LFQ35M) and the canopy unit (CM-L300FQ1). It is no longer in production but there is possibility if you continue to look around online or possibility if a local certified Lutron dealer/electrical warehouse still has stock you can obtain one.The date codes of both devices have to match, so both the wallbox control and the canopy unit that is up in the canopy of your fan/light combo need to be replaced. Other than this if you are not able to run a separate wire so there is a separate switch leg for the fan and for the light portion to use the MACL-LFQ, you could install an analog switch such as the CA-1PS or a digital on/off switch such as the neutral requried MA-S8AM. However these would be on/off functionality only as all of our current fan and light control offerings require two separate switch legs, and work without the canopy unit. If you have any other questions our tech support can be reached at (1-888-588-7661) or via email at support@lutron.com
    *Good Afternoon, Dorothy!Thank you for the information. My first impression of this replacement setup is negative. I understand when a product goes out of production. What I do not understand is why the decision was made that the switch would go from two-wire to three-wire. Certainly the engineers and managers know that not all homes are built with retrofit capabilities. INHO, the replacement for the two-wire MA-LFQ35 switch should have been another two-wire switch. Also, requiring them to be date matched is understandable, but doubles the replacement cost. I have nowhere to pass along this extra, and unnecessary, expense.Sincerely,- - Dave

Replacing Lutron Maestro MA-LFQ35

Good Evening, Randy!Thank you for the information. I hope you will answer a couple of questions for me, please. I am fair in using a VOM. How do I test the canopy module to determine if it is the culprit? Also, is it possible that the MA-LFQ35 is not bad? How do I test it? Also, please define "canopy" for me. I do not want to assume anything.I did as you suggested and looked on eBay for a replacement switch. The only Lutron switches I found were MACL-ALFQH-WH, which require the purchase of a MA-LFQ3 or MA-LFQM (sold separately). If I decide to use this setup, does this part go in the canopy?I appreciate your help!Thank you!- - Dave

Most electricians run a 3-wire cable for ceiling fans. That gives you 1 switch leg for the fan, 1 for the light and a neutral. If you have a 3-wire cable you can remove the old canopy module and use a MACL-LFQ.

hellodear.in

watch movies

solution

hi Dave, I'm facing the same problem. How did you end up solving yours?