Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: On/off switch for standard wall outlet?

On/off switch for standard wall outlet?

Is there really no simple on/off switch yet available for the Caseta system? I purchased the PD-5WS-DV, but my electrician said those were 1) only rated for a maximum of 5 A (he thought possibly only 3 A), and 2) couldn't be programmed unless something was plugged into the outlet itself, because without any draw through the circuit, the switch wouldn't work (which turned out to be true).

Are there any plans to offer a Caseta on/off switch that can be used to completely control a 15 A (or whatever) wall outlet? I'm trying to put my exterior outlets on the system so I can turn Christmas lights on and off with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostimu View Post
    Is there really no simple on/off switch yet available for the Caseta system? I purchased the PD-5WS-DV, but my electrician said those were 1) only rated for a maximum of 5 A (he thought possibly only 3 A), and 2) couldn't be programmed unless something was plugged into the outlet itself, because without any draw through the circuit, the switch wouldn't work (which turned out to be true).

Are there any plans to offer a Caseta on/off switch that can be used to completely control a 15 A (or whatever) wall outlet? I'm trying to put my exterior outlets on the system so I can turn Christmas lights on and off with the system.
    I have 2 of those switches I use for exterior Christmas Lights. I plugged a light in to program them and then took the light away. The switches won't work but once my Christmas lights are installed the work correctly and turn on and off to my schedule

Has anyone else got an idea for the OPs issue?

I just came across a similar issue yesterday when i noticed the instructions for the PD-6WCL say they should not be used for switches that connect to receptacles.

The two bedrooms in our condo have no installed lights and rely on switches to receptacles for lamps.

If i go the route of a the lamp dimmer plugged into the wall outlet, i then have the issue of people turning of the switch at the wall. I would rather avoid this, as well as capping any switches and just covering up with a remote (if i move out, then these would no longer be useful).

Any other solutions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by adams View Post
    The two bedrooms in our condo have no installed lights and rely on switches to receptacles for lamps.
    I used the PD-5WS-DV switch for my switched outlets, though I suppose if someone plugged a vacuum cleaner or some other high-current device into one of those outlets it could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    I used the PD-5WS-DV switch for my switched outlets, though I suppose if someone plugged a vacuum cleaner or some other high-current device into one of those outlets it could be a problem.
    You could get the dimmable receptacles Lutron sells. The receptacles then have a little knob sticking out, you cut off the end of your lamp cords and replace them with Lutron's plug which has a small recess for the knob on the receptacle. That way the only thing you can plug in is dimmable devices like table lamps.

Hello

I have low voltage LED lighting installed outside. The transformer is rated 300W and has a load of about 150W. Currently the transformer is plugged into a non-switched outdoor outlet, through a timer with photocell.

Inside the house, I have a Lutron Caseta hub with numerous dimmers and picos. I would like to have this exterior outlet also controlled by the Caseta.

Is this possible, and if so what product do I use?

Thank you in advance!
    Matt