Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rrd-pro

Rrd-pro

Has anyone used a RRD-PRO with low voltage 12volt halogens? Lights go on and off, but after about ten minute lights cut off. Have to turn on and off, to get back on. Is there a particular 12volt bulb that may work better? Thanks

What kind of driver are you using? This sounds like an issue with ELV loads.

Lutron Technical Support
    If you're looking for compatible bulbs, we advise using the tool at www.lutron.com/LEDTool for compatibility results. There is a chance this is an incompatible driver, as well. Identify if the driver is Magnetic or Electronic and then verify that the RRD-PRO is set to the correct phase (done from the software).

Quote Originally Posted by 69VanNuys View Post
    Has anyone used a RRD-PRO with low voltage 12volt halogens? Lights go on and off, but after about ten minute lights cut off. Have to turn on and off, to get back on. Is there a particular 12volt bulb that may work better? Thanks
    It depends on the type of transformer the fixture is using. Out of the box, the PRO dimmer defaults to ELV mode when a neutral is connected. The vast majority of MR-16 fixtures use magnetic transformers (MLV) and the PRO dimmer needs the neutral for that as well, but it means that you have to go back and change the dimmer's setting from ELV to forward phase. If there is no neutral then it becomes forward phase as well but it's not meant to work with MLV. That's why for me, if I work with an older home with these fixtures, I just get the 6ND instead. It's forward phase only so everything works out fine by default.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    It depends on the type of transformer the fixture is using. Out of the box, the PRO dimmer defaults to ELV mode when a neutral is connected. The vast majority of MR-16 fixtures use magnetic transformers (MLV) and the PRO dimmer needs the neutral for that as well, but it means that you have to go back and change the dimmer's setting from ELV to forward phase. If there is no neutral then it becomes forward phase as well but it's not meant to work with MLV. That's why for me, if I work with an older home with these fixtures, I just get the 6ND instead. It's forward phase only so everything works out fine by default.
    Sparky, you obviously have experience with the 6ND and PRO. I have an installation that has no PRO dimmers and mostly RRD-6CL dimmers. We don't want to purchase the Connect Bridge, and are using ver. 12.0.1 of the Lutron RRa2 software, so would not be able to program a PRO.We are replacing a RRD-6CL dimmer for a 12V cable track that has a single MR16 socket hanging from it and could use EITHER a 12V halogen or a LED.So, what can I install instead of a PRO? A RRD-6ND with a small magnetic transformer (in Forward Phase)??? Not sure I can find a magnetic transformer small enough to fit in the wall-wire junction box.I just need to light & dim a single bulb (LED 7.5 W or halogen 35W). Sure would appreciate your suggestions.Gratefully, Richard
    ~~~Richard___ Santa Cruz, CA

Lutron Technical Support
    Thank you for you post ROrser,Lutron offers an application note, #559, which covers MR16 lamps on both magnetic and electronic low voltage transformers. Below is a link to it:https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ary/048559.pdfThe first page of this list is reserved for magnetic low voltage. Towards the bottom of the "Dimming Control Models" will be the RRD-10ND. This is interchangeable with the RRD-6ND, as well.

Thank you. After reviewing AN #559 I am still wondering if I could effectively use a HALOGEN 35W MR16 bulb with a RRD-6NA and a simple ELV 12V transformer like this: https://ltftechnology.com/ltf-ta-te-...-transformers/
    ~~~Richard___ Santa Cruz, CA