Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Product Request: Casèta Appliance Module

Product Request: Casèta Appliance Module

I'm beginning the process of replacing our X-10 system with Lutron Casèta dimmers and Smart Bridge. Only fly in the ointment (so far?) is we'll need to keep some X-10 around as Lutron's Casèta product lineup still lacks an appliance module.

I think I may be able to get by for my existing needs by putting a lamp dimmer module into switch mode, but if I ever need or want to control an inductive load, well...

So I would request Lutron please fill this hole in their Casèta product line. Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    There is an Outdoor Plug unit https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ry/3691195.pdf PD-15OUT-BL, however this model is really designed for outdoor use. Is rated for 1/2 horsepower of motor loads and pump loads.

Yes, I'm aware. A little ungainly for indoor use, though :) I'm thinking more in the lamp dimmer module form factor. Those have been available for X-10 since forever. I believe current competing product has them, too. It seems to me a curious hole in their product line.

Quote Originally Posted by Billsson View Post
    Yes, I'm aware. A little ungainly for indoor use, though :) I'm thinking more in the lamp dimmer module form factor. Those have been available for X-10 since forever. I believe current competing product has them, too. It seems to me a curious hole in their product line.
    You can make your own by putting a caseta switch in a box with an outlet and a trailing plug cable. If your needs are for more than 5A, include a RIB relay in the box at whatever rating you need. I now use Caseta Switches to control my pool Pump (2HP) and Waterfall Pump (1 HP) using 30A dual pole RIB relays. Makes for more convenient operating schedule updates than using a mechanical timer and allows remote control with Picos.Alan

I could do all kinds of things :) (Ex-radio/hardware designer/software designer/IT Admin guy.) Along those lines: I've a box I once designed and built that allows me to hook up any common thermostat so as to control any common space heater. Thing is: I don't care to geek-out on home automation. I desire an ecosystem that's easy to set up and use, with a range of devices that will allow me to do what I want.

This is, IMO, a hole in their product line they would be well-served to fill.

If the standard dimmer modules set to pseudo-switch mode don't do the trick, I suppose I'll look for something that integrates with HomeKit outside the Casèta product line.

Lutron likes to leave holes in their lines to encourage upgrades to RadioRa2 or HomeWorks. Caseta bridge could be redesigned to support 1000 devices and seeTouch keypads, but they don't as that would cannibalize the other systems.

7. Thanks davisadm thanked for this post
    You can't always get what you want - True - But mixing systems is also a giant PITA. The dimmer modules don't work for that usage & what I propose is not hard. But YMMV Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Billsson View Post
    the Casèta product line.
    FYI, it's 'Caséta', not 'Casèta'.

10. Likes Billsson liked this post
    Update

Looks like I'll be able to satisfy my immediate need, controlling inside Christmas lighting, by putting Caséta dimmer modules in switch mode.

The full-size and table-top trees, with all LED light strings in them, turn fully-on and fully-off without problem. A short string we run over the top and down the sides of one window stays dimly-lit when it's off, but it did that with X-10 appliance modules, too, so that's a wash.

Would still like to see an appliance module, that can switch inductive loads, though.