Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flickering & RRD-Pro

Question Flickering & RRD-Pro

I know that a lot of LED dimming performance is in the driver, but I have a brand new multi-pendant chandelier with 19 LED lights.

An RRD-Pro, which I thought had the best LED handling, has terrible flickering on all the pendants between 10%-22% dim levels, and there's a scene the homeowners love for which we need about a 12% dim. I've tried 8%, which doesn't flicker, but is way too low, and tried 22% and it's too bright. It's just annoying that there's strobing/flickering in that low range.

Is there a different controller switch that might handle the dimming on this fixture BETTER than an RRD-Pro does? 10NA? 6CL? Willing to try anything before tackling if a driver change even possible on this large fixture that is on a 20-foot high ceiling.

For what it's worth, there is a neutral wire available and on the RRD-Pro . Tried forward and reverse phase, and didn't see any difference.

Thanks for any help or advice...

Are these screw in LED bulbs or an integrated LED fixture?

I would say a new driver is probably the best option if setting forward/reverse phase doesn't do it. There just aren't many other options. You could try the CL or the 6ND but I would be shocked if it had better results. RRD-PRO is the most compatible dimmer Lutron has ever made.

Thanks Evan. Was afraid of that. these are integrated bulbs. Driver change is pretty impossible now that it's mounted 18 feet up with 19 LED pendants hanging down. It'd be a monster job to get it off the ceiling to change the driver. So frustrating... a new fixture made just recently and that cost several thousand dollars, and they used cheap drivers.

Scaffolding. I would try and reach out to the manufacturer to see if they have any dimmer recommendations. I have found some of the super high design fixtures often have cheap drivers as they spent all the R+D money on hiring a famous designer.

Get the specs on the driver. Those custom, one-off fixtures often use 0-10v drivers. That weirdness you are seeing at 10-20% is what I would expect if you were dimming a 10v driver with a line voltage dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com