Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pico Scene keypads

Pico Scene keypads

I want to be able to trigger a Scene from a physical button. By Scene here, I'm referring to a Scene created in the iOS app that contains lights from several rooms as well as shades.AFAIK, I can't use a standard, Pico, but I know I can use the iOS app.This doc https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...72821.pdfShows Pico Scene keypads. Are these the ones to buy?Note, this is sort of a continuation of my earlier thread, https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...best-buttonBut my thinking is a little clearer now and so I've posted a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tonty View Post
    I want to be able to trigger a Scene from a physical button. By Scene here, I'm referring to a Scene created in the iOS app that contains lights from several rooms as well as shades.AFAIK, I can't use a standard, Pico, but I know I can use the iOS app.This doc https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...72821.pdfShows Pico Scene keypads. Are these the ones to buy?Note, this is sort of a continuation of my earlier thread, https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...best-buttonBut my thinking is a little clearer now and so I've posted a new thread
    Answering my own post here..You can only use specific Picos to activate Scenes. These are listed here under Pico Scene Keypadshttps://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3672821.pdf

More detail on scene keypads:Within Pico 4 Button Scene Controls there are actually 2 significantly different types that Lutron does not distinguish. It may seem subtle - but it actually makes a big difference in possible usage:Types L31, EL1, EL2 are similar (except for button (incl. custom) labelling) - On these every button controls the same devices as the top button, and the bottom button is always All Off (for those devices)Types P01, P02, P03 are similar (except for the button labelling) - On these every button has a Full* individual selection of what devices are controlled and the bottom button acts like all the others (it can be All Off - but does not have to be).*not limited to room - really anything you have. These are actually MAJOR functional differences that Lutron fails to mention anywhere!All but L31 come with labeled buttons - but you can easily pop a Pico apart and swap the buttons around between Picos. In the app the button assigned names (or icons) are fixed (for custom EL1 and EL2 they are just like L31, and cannot be changed) but your actual usage can vary. It would be nice if the App let you customize the button text (most esp. for the ($$) custom labelled Picos). Why would you care? If you have multiple Picos for a room - you probably do not want a dedicated button on every single one of them to be "All Off", what if you want the "All Off" button for downstairs to also turn On the Stair lights? Perhaps every rooms lowest level is 'nightlight' and you only want a single 'All Off' button for when you go to bed. Perhaps transitioning from outside to inside you want a single button to turn off all outside lights but turn on at least one inside light (but leave all the others lights in that room unchanged). Many things that aren't possible otherwise without significant 3rd party automations. I bought 4 custom labelled EL2s and several of each P01/P02/P03s. I was disappointed the ELx do not operate like the P0x types, but it sort of worked out by swapping buttons. I swapped the custom labels over to the Pxx types to allow for more flexible functions on all buttons (I had labelled all the buttons to have actions other than off).Alan

Is it correct that these picos require that all devices assigned to them need to be at the same dimming level? Said another way, there is no way to assign an scene from the app to one of the buttons where different lights are at different dimming levels. It appears from the literature that the PJ2-4B-GWH-L41 is capable of this, but will not work with Caseta?Thank you!

No - on the P0x types every scene button can control a different set of lamps (any in your system across all rooms) and each of these lamp can be set to any level you want. On the regular pico's (L31, EL1, EL2) all buttons control the same lamps but each lamp still can be set to any level for the top 3 buttons, while the bottom button is always off for all those lamps. The difference may seem relatively subtle but it is huge from a functionality point of view and provides many more options. Lutron should be clearer about the real differences - their documentation is not at all clear on these (or other) distinctions between Pico models.Alan

thank you!

Apologies, but in rereading this, I'm afraid I do not understand your reference to the "POx types" Can you help?

Sorry. I just reread for the third time and I think I understand. It is VERY unclear that these are available and work with Caseta from the Lutron literature. Thanks again.

Lutron Technical Support
    https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...691066_ENG.pdf This link will help you with the PXX designations for the Scene Keypad Picos. They can be used in the Caseta System and must be programmed using the Lutron App.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...691066_ENG.pdf This link will help you with the PXX designations for the Scene Keypad Picos. They can be used in the Caseta System and must be programmed using the Lutron App.
    Matt - sorry that does not explain ANYTHING that I wrote above. Lutron's documentation on functionality for Picos is quite appalling in its omissions - totally Pathetic - the only way you can find out how they actually work is to buy them and try them. I agree everything they do say is accurate - but it is nowhere near enough information to determine usage options. They should do better, it is well beyond time for a revamp - show it in the form of a matrix of functionality and a matrix of compatibility with systems and apps. Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast