Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replaced 3-way with Caseta and Pico; lights are dim

Replaced 3-way with Caseta and Pico; lights are dim

I have successfully installed a few Caseta switches in my home. This was my first attempt at replacing a 3-way. I had become accustomed to the ease of installing Caseta switches and didn't read the instructions for 3-ways in particular until I had arrived at this dilemma. There are two wall switches that control two recessed ceiling lights (one switch on either end of the hallway with two lights in the hallway). I have replaced one end of the hallway with a Pico, and in the box behind that Pico I have connected the wires and capped them. At the other end of the hallway, I have replaced the old switch with a PD-6WCL-WH dimmer. The switch has been added to my Smart Bridge and the green LEDs on the dimmer work fine. Yet, the ceiling lights do not appear to function properly. I have just tested some bulb arrangements to help those with better insight understand the potential issue. My incandescent bulbs are 60w Sylvania, and my LED bulbs are GE relax dimmable LEDs, which have worked in other fixtures with Caseta in my home. 1: Incandescent bulb one fixture / LED bulb in the other fixture: - The incandescent bulb remains unlit while the LED seems to function very well; it seems to achieve optimum brightness at 100% and as I dim down the lights it performs very well. I have tested this in both fixtures and whenever there is an incandescent in one fixture and an LED in the other, the LED works just fine while the incandescent does not light. 2. LED in both fixtures: - Only one LED will light up, while the other will not light. The one that lights does follow the dim commands from the Caseta dimmer as I press "up" and "down", but its maximum brightness is a fraction of what I would expect. It is very dim. 3. Incandescent bulb in both fixtures: - Both bulbs work in unison, yet they only achieve a very low level of light (much like the LED in experiment #2). I have tried two separate PD-6WCL-WH dimmers, and both experienced these strange behaviors, so I am quite certain it is not the fault of the device. It seems there is an issue with the wiring of the circuit and I don't know enough about electrical wiring to diagnose the issue. I'm wondering whether someone might be willing to offer some informed insight.

I'm new here. Perhaps there is a way to format posts so they aren't walls of text, but I cannot seem to find a rich text editor or HTML option

Lutron Technical Support
    Since it's a 3-way, verify if the traveler wires are on one black wire on the dimmer, and the common on the other black wire on the dimmer. Also, have you checked the model numbers of those light bulbs to make sure they are truly incandescent and a dimmable led?

I think this issue needs attention from a proper electrical expert. I will call Lutron and see whether they have any advice before seeking the input of a pro. If I arrive at any conclusion as to the cause of the problem, and it's solution, I will reply here. I'm of course open to feedback from knowledgeable readers of this forum in the meantime.