Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caseta Pro Switches

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Lutron has a philosophy that if someone else is doing it well, there's no need to try and re-invent a wheel that works well...Better to focus on their core business- lighting control- and play well with the others.
    I think that makes a lot of sense, and it does seem like Lutron has done a good job of getting third-party systems to integrate with Caseta. The Achilles heel, though, is the 50 device limit since most of these third-party integrations require the SmartBridge to function (i.e. they don't replace the SmartBridge).

asherrick- There's been some friction on the board regarding Lutron's keeping the systems separate and no upgrade path. To be honest, third party can fix a lot of things if you take the time to program correctly. Take an L3 certified RA2 installer for an example. That's SIX days of RA2 training, total. One for BLAST, two for L2, and another 3 for L3. I've taken them all, and can attest that I would be more than a little upset if someone with a basic understanding of Caseta were able to mimic what I spent a lot of time and energy to learn and craft. Caseta was never designed to replace RA2 (my fear when it was released). Instead, we should embrace the fact that new users can afford-ably and quickly add lighting control to their homes. Think of it as a cell phone. Would you trade your smart phone back in for the old flip phone? Once they get used to the idea and convenience, lighting control becomes essential. If the house or design requirements would push past Caseta's limitations, then it is on us as salespeople to accurately portray that fact to the end user.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Actually one further question as you mention. I am purchasing the Pro Bridge. Do I need to use Pro Dimmers? I think the answer is no, but want to make sure. Then what is the difference in the Pro and non-pro Dimmers? I think it is the number of Watts they can handle, but again want to make sure.

All Caseta dimmers work with the Smart Bridge Pro.

Thanks for the help. What it is then the difference in the 2 Dimmers, pro and regular?

Lutron Technical Support
    The non-Pro Caseta devices are sold at retail stores such as Home Depot of Lowe's. The Pro Caseta devices are only sold through electrical distributors.

7. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Just for completeness, the differences between the pro and regular dimmers are:
    1) The pro dimmers require a neutral wire to function, the regular ones do not.
    2) The pro dimmers appear compatible with a wider range of led bulbs. (I'm not sure if this is supported by differences in the official compatibility lists, but I've personally seen examples of LED bulbs working with a pro dimmer and flickering at a higher dimming level or buzzing with a regular dimmer under the otherwise identical conditions with a pro dimmer.)
    3) The PD-5NE (pro) Caseta dimmer offers an extra feature that's not available in an equivalent regular dimmer model. (It has a "favorite" button like the Pico remote that selects a saved dimming level for that load.)
    4) As Brian said, you have to go to different websites to order each type of dimmer.

[QUOTE=CaliforniaGuy;14009]Just for completeness, the differences between the pro and regular dimmers are:
    1) The pro dimmers require a neutral wire to function, the regular ones do not.

actually the pro can function with and without neutral . I bought all pros and on the receptacles without a neutral(just 2 wires) I just capped the neutral on each dimmer. Granted the ones with a working neutral dimmed better for LEDs.
    so the pro with neutral can work on anything and cost just a tiny bit more.

perhaps I not describing it technically accurate so feel to correct me.

I had no idea any of the pro dimmers work with the netrual lead from the dimmer capped.

Brian W or anyone else - is this a supported configuration, for example for the PD-5NE?

Lutron Technical Support
    The PD-10NXD dimmer works without neutral on Incandescent, halogen, and some LED loads. Neutral is required for MLV and some LED loads, all LED drivers and power boosters (such as the PHPM-PA & GRX-TVI).

The PD-5NE dimmer won’t work without neutral connected.

Caseta dimmer and switch spec sheet: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369987_ENG.pdf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast