Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trying to Decide if This will Work for my Application

Trying to Decide if This will Work for my Application

Hello Everyone. I have a half greenhouse / half too shed building which has a 3-way light switch in each side to control two lights attached to the outside of the building. I would like to be able to turn the lights on and off from our house, which is about 7 meters (22 feet) from the greenhouse/tool shed. This building is only one year old and was professionally wired. Is there a Lutron product that would work for this application? Will a wireless switch/receiver system work through 2 walls (house wall and the greenhouse/tool shed wall)? If so, I have done some basic wiring, but I am miles from being a professional electrician. Would an amateur homeowner be able to install this, or will I need an electrician? Finally, if there is a product that would work for this application, what are all the pieces I will need and is there a "kit" that contains all that I will need? Thank you!

Assuming you live in the US or Canada, you can absolutely use a Caseta stand-alone system. Just replace the switch in the shed with a Caseta switch and put a Pico remote in the house. Very simple. Bridge is not required unless you want to control with phone, time clock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    Assuming you live in the US or Canada, you can absolutely use a Caseta stand-alone system. Just replace the switch in the shed with a Caseta switch and put a Pico remote in the house. Very simple. Bridge is not required unless you want to control with phone, time clock etc.
    Thank you Evan. Yes, I live in Canada. I assume this would work even though it is a three-way switch? If I would like to control the lights from my iPhone, is it just a "bridge" that I would need in addition to the two other pieces of hardware you mentioned?Thanks again for your helpful information!

Sorry for another question

Sorry for yet another question. After watching the various YouTube videos, we are thinking that we might want the dimmer option as well as being able to control the lights from our iPhone. I see on the Home Depot site that there are a few "kits". It would seem that the most economical is the Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Home Lighting Dimmer Switch Starter Kit along with ordering an additional pico remote (allowing 3 points of control). Would this work for a 3-way switch and for dimmable LED light bulbs?

If you have a 3 way switch already, the best solution would be to replace the other control locations with Pico remotes. Certain dimmer models can use a mechanical switch but I would just go the Pico route.

Yes, the bridge is required to control the system with an iPhone as well as to add time clock automation, third party integration etc. Keep in mind all devices should be within 30 feet of the hub, which must have a wired connection to your router. A stand alone system just needs the Pico's to be within 30 feet of the switch. 30 feet is a recommendation, could possibly go much farther.

I would recommend dimmer model PD-10NXD as long as there is a neutral available (if its new wiring this should be no problem), that has the most compatibility with LEDs. PD-6WCL is also fine in the majority of cases. The package deals are fairly nice.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    If you have a 3 way switch already, the best solution would be to replace the other control locations with Pico remotes. Certain dimmer models can use a mechanical switch but I would just go the Pico route. Yes, the bridge is required to control the system with an iPhone as well as to add time clock automation, third party integration etc. Keep in mind all devices should be within 30 feet of the hub, which must have a wired connection to your router. A stand alone system just needs the Pico's to be within 30 feet of the switch. 30 feet is a recommendation, could possibly go much farther. I would recommend dimmer model PD-10NXD as long as there is a neutral available (if its new wiring this should be no problem), that has the most compatibility with LEDs. PD-6WCL is also fine in the majority of cases. The package deals are fairly nice.
    Thanks again. So I ordered the Caseta Wireless Bundle P-BDG-PKG1W-A-C through Amazon.ca. Received the bundle in good order, however when trying to install, the wiring within the two 3-way switches appear different than the YouTube installation video describes. Firstly, the ground wires are not attached to the switch, but rather are attached inside the switch box in the back. Now I'm lost..... Unfortunately I can't seem to attach photos, so I will describe the wiring configuration.... one of the switches has two black wires and one red wire attached to the switch (no ground wire attached to the switch, as the ground wires are tucked into the back). The other switch has two black wires, one white wire and one red wire (no ground attached to the switch, as the ground wires are tucked into the back).... Any suggestions, other than getting an electrician? Note that it was a professional electrician who wired the building/switches, so I assume that whatever they did with the ground wires is legit....

You might want to think about an electrician.

One switch has a power input and two “traveler” wire that go to the other switch. The other switch has the two travelers and the wire that goes to the light. Don’t worry about ground wires right now.

It seems like one of the old switches was a time clock or something, hence the white wire. Cap it off.

You need to convert the 3 way switch back into a single pole. Take all 3 wires off one switch and cap them together.

On the other switch, connect the two former traveler wires to one of the wires on the dimmer. Then the other connection will go to the former black screw of the old switch.

If you have a metal box make sure to remove the paper washer on the dimmer screw. If you have a ground wire present connect it to the green lead on the dimmer. If no ground wires are present make sure to use a screw less wall plate that is not metallic.

If you are unable to feel confident that you can do this correctly just hire somebody. I would also recommend you watch some YouTube videos about 3 way switching.