Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ra2 issues / system failure

Ra2 issues / system failure

A few days ago our Ra2 system stopped responding or responded intermittently. Diagnostics shows only a few of the 60 or so devices responding. So, I reset the main repeater, reset activation, reset all the devices and began the process of reactivation. The Main Repeater responds to very few devices. I brought my main repeater from home and did the same problem and still have the same issue. Stumped.

Any other RF devices installed on-site recently? Could it be something else interfering? The Lutron Ra2 repeater operates in the 431-437 mhz band in the US (868-869 in EU and elsewhere).

Might be worth powering off everything but the repeater and just one lighting circuit that was known NOT to pair as a test. See if the repeater and the troublesome device can pair. If they do then power up other circuits until you get problems again. Could be time-consuming to debug.

You could use a PC running AirSpy with a RTLSDR (usb-connected Software Defined Radio) to scan frequency ranges. Watch the bands as you turn circuits on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Any other RF devices installed on-site recently? Could it be something else interfering? The Lutron Ra2 repeater operates in the 431-437 mhz band in the US (868-869 in EU and elsewhere). Might be worth powering off everything but the repeater and just one lighting circuit that was known NOT to pair as a test. See if the repeater and the troublesome device can pair. If they do then power up other circuits until you get problems again. Could be time-consuming to debug. You could use a PC running AirSpy with a RTLSDR (usb-connected Software Defined Radio) to scan frequency ranges. Watch the bands as you turn circuits on/off.
    No, nothing new installed. Do you have a recommendation for a handheld RF scanner?

Sounds like a communication issue. Any Aux repeaters? Recently had a system that was fine one day and the next devices dropped like mad. Took a little while to find out the A/V guy had moved my Aux to a switched outlet that was for counter slab lights.
    In my testing I would manually turn everything in the effected area on. Transfers and all was good. Then I would test all through various keypads. Including the all off. Make some programming changes and transfer and a lot would then fail. Never occurred to me the aux I plugged in myself was moved to a diff outlet.

I removed the aux repeater from the programming for process of elimination.

I’m just trying the switches within 20’ of the main repeater (theres 15 of them)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
    I removed the aux repeater from the programming for process of elimination.I’m just trying the switches within 20’ of the main repeater (theres 15 of them)
    Is your Main Repeater located next to other equipment such as within or next to the AV Rack? If yes, move it away a few feet and try it again.

I do not have a recommendation on a handheld scanner. I've only used a PC with airspy and an inexpensive RTLSDR setup. There are many out there, this is one I've used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDN1T4S

I suppose there's various ways to get a tablet or phone to do this also, but I found using a PC provided a more robust experience (better graphics, user interface control, storage, etc). ymmv.

You say there's nothing new installed, but are you certain of this? Nobody else on site that could have attempted to plug in something? Or change an existing device like a garage door opener or something else that might have a RF problems?

I have tried moving the repeater 20’ away from its original location to no effext

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
    I have tried moving the repeater 20’ away from its original location to no effext
    Are you connecting through a switch or is your laptop plugged directly into the repeater? That is one of the 1st steps that Lutron Support usually will ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshea View Post
    Are you connecting through a switch or is your laptop plugged directly into the repeater? That is one of the 1st steps that Lutron Support usually will ask.
    either/or doesn't matter same result

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast