Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Question on Vacancy/Occupancy sensors and how to use them for a specific purpose

Question on Vacancy/Occupancy sensors and how to use them for a specific purpose

Hello, was hoping someone could provide insight for what I am trying to accomplish here:

1) occupancy/vacancy sensor in the basement to turn light on/off when person enters and leaves.

2) vacancy sensor in two bathrooms to turn fan off after certain time.

I have a few questions:
    1) seems that occupancy/vacancy sensor has more functionality and the same price as vacancy sensor. So, I case I wanted to have Auto On feature in the future, can I get occupancy/vacancy sensor and now set it up NOT to "Auto On" but to "Manual On" or it must be vacancy sensor?

2) can it be set up to turn lights off after 1 min of vacancy and fan after 30min? Or you can not separate two functions? If I recall, there is only one setting on the unit itself. But maybe there is a way to do it in the software?

I have an RTI control system as well, not sure if what can't be done inside Lutron can be done with RTI, but would rather leverage Lutron as much as possible.

Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by totalcontrol View Post
    Hello, was hoping someone could provide insight for what I am trying to accomplish here:

I have a few questions:
    1) seems that occupancy/vacancy sensor has more functionality and the same price as vacancy sensor. So, I case I wanted to have Auto On feature in the future, can I get occupancy/vacancy sensor and now set it up NOT to "Auto On" but to "Manual On" or it must be vacancy sensor?

2) can it be set up to turn lights off after 1 min of vacancy and fan after 30min? Or you can not separate two functions? If I recall, there is only one setting on the unit itself. But maybe there is a way to do it in the software?

I have an RTI control system as well, not sure if what can't be done inside Lutron can be done with RTI, but would rather leverage Lutron as much as possible.

Thank you kindly.
    totalcontrol-
    I am assuming that you are talking about the LRF2 sensors within RA2. They can be configured at the unit itself, or within the RA2 software for occupancy or vacancy.

As far as the second question, you can set the sensor to a short timeout. Attach to the light and the fan, and add a delay in the software of 30 minutes for the fan. (At least in the 8.2 I have on this computer)
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    totalcontrol-
    Attach to the light and the fan, and add a delay in the software of 30 minutes for the fan. (At least in the 8.2 I have on this computer)
    How do you add a delay?

delay

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    totalcontrol-
    I am assuming that you are talking about the LRF2 sensors within RA2. They can be configured at the unit itself, or within the RA2 software for occupancy or vacancy.

As far as the second question, you can set the sensor to a short timeout. Attach to the light and the fan, and add a delay in the software of 30 minutes for the fan. (At least in the 8.2 I have on this computer)
    Using Essentials 9.2, under the "program" tab select "Keypads" on the left hand side. Now select a sensor and near the bottom of the screen there is a row labeled "Programmed Item Name/Level/Fade". Right click this row, select "Show Delay". Now just enter your delay time for each switch/dimmer.

Eric

6. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
    Thanks, this was helpful for a project I am working on as well.

I thought I was limited to just the sensor timer options (1,5,15,30)

Quote Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post
    Using Essentials 9.2, under the "program" tab select "Keypads" on the left hand side. Now select a sensor and near the bottom of the screen there is a row labeled "Programmed Item Name/Level/Fade". Right click this row, select "Show Delay". Now just enter your delay time for each switch/dimmer.

Eric