Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do you pair a Pico remote to a switch using the app?

Do you pair a Pico remote to a switch using the app?

I've watched YouTube videos showing how you can pair a Pico to a hard-wired switch withOUT using the app (Press the "off" button until it goes into pairing mode, etc) .However, on this forum I've read post in which people say you should pair the Pico to the switch using the app.Can someone explain? Are both methods possible? And if so, which is preferable?

Lutron Technical Support
    If you are not using the app and just have stand alone components, then you should pair manually by holding the off button on the wired devices to put it in pairing mode, then hold the Off button on the Pico. If you use the app as you have a bridge, then pair the devices to the app. Should not try to mix the methods together at all.

Do the Pico remotes talk to the bridge or to they talk directly to the switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    If you are not using the app and just have stand alone components, then you should pair manually by holding the off button on the wired devices to put it in pairing mode, then hold the Off button on the Pico. If you use the app as you have a bridge, then pair the devices to the app. Should not try to mix the methods together at all.
    I have at least a dozen switches connected to the app and paired directly to picos that are not on the app. Usually, this works great, but sometimes I have trouble getting the dimmer or switch to complete both connections. The Lutron support page specifically explains how to do this and certainly does not discourage this approach. This approach avoids the delay that often occurs when a pico has to route its signal to the hub and then to switch. It also avoids the clutter that you get with a bunch of picos showing up in the app. There seldom is a reason that you would want to control a pico (as opposed to a switch) through the app.