Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Poor Battery Performance?

Poor Battery Performance?

Guys,

Starting with Energizer batteries in my shades, I got barely 6-7 months performance. After calling tech support, they advised me to use Duracell instead - and they did better, but I am getting only 10-11 month performance. This is with less than specified 2 up / down cycles per day. I feel somewhat cheated when you advertise 2-3 year performance.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Ryan

I wonder, does amount of daylight exposure, and the heat related to direct sunlight, reduce potential battery life? I've got at least one window that will likely have the shade assembly placed inside the window framing, such that the unit is exposed to the sun along the outside, in a south-facing window.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Ryan,

Is your shade is using D or AA batteries? If they are AA batteries, make sure they are the lithium type, not alkaline. If they are D cells, or you already have lithium AA batteries, call us directly at Tech Support (800-523-9466) to troubleshoot further.
    Last edited by Brian S.; 10-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Exposure to elevated temperature can have a small effect on battery life. Shades with batteries that spend the majority of the year in very high temperatures may see 1-2 months less battery life than shades located in cool areas.

I had a similar issue. Call tech support or your rep. Mine had something to do with it being a first gen shade that did not see much use (second home) and some torque limiter. I don't know the details, but lutron took care of it. Possibly you have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by thefish View Post
    I had a similar issue. Call tech support or your rep. Mine had something to do with it being a first gen shade that did not see much use (second home) and some torque limiter. I don't know the details, but lutron took care of it. Possibly you have the same problem?
    I don't think the temprature has much to do with it due to one of mine sit right in the sun in Florida and have been working fine for over a year now and I did not have new batteries in it to start with. They go up and down at least twice a day. I did have to replace the batteries in the one that is not in the sun but started with older batteries in that one.