Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5NE new installation problem

PD-5NE new installation problem

Just installed my dimmer last night. Using the PD-5NE for two LED bulbs (only because the PD-6WCL lacks the favorite button). Works for a while, then when I switch it off, it switches itself back on and displays two flashing status lights (the top and center ones) and can't be turned off. So I pull out the FASS tab to remove power and push it back it. Switch works again for a bit, then the problem repeats.Wiring is correct. I switched the LEDs to incandescent bulbs in case the LEDs were incompatible. Nope. Same problem with incandescent. Also, when I add the switch to the Lutron app, the switch can't be controlled through the app. I did a factory reset, but problem persists.Very frustrating. Any ideas? Defective switch?

Lutron Technical Support
    Do you know if you are using magnetic low voltage lights? If you are, the PD-5NE is setup for ELV dimming out of the box. To change this, please follow the steps on page 75 (you want to change the dimmer to forward phase)on this document: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...structions.pdf. If that does not work, please call our Technical Support team @ 1-888-588-7661.

Thanks. I ended up replacing the switch. It was defective.

Quote Originally Posted by ompompanoo View Post
    Thanks. I ended up replacing the switch. It was defective.
    I have the exact same problem. Two (of 4) out of the box flashed the top and middle led's. I thought they were defective so I replaced them.The new ones seem to work for a while, then one of them started doing the same thing. Then one of the original ones started doing it.I tried the forward/reverse phase thing and still same problem. I can't keep replacing the dimmers and I find it hard to believe that the failure rate would be this high (50%).

I had a similar setup - just two PAR30 canned lights in a 3-way setup (second location was a PICO remote). At first the Philips LED's would only be full on/off - would not dim. Then I tried (2) incandescent - they would not turn on at all (really weird). Put the LED's back in - tried to change the polarity and then was stuck in the mode where 1 & 4 led's on the switch flashed. Could not get back into the mode to change the polarity back. Talked with tech support multiple times. Then I moved the switch to another location which has halogen track lighting and it works fine. Still afraid I will have the problem in the first location when I purchase another PD-5E. Anyone know what what PAR30 (soft white) LED's work for sure with the PD-5E. None of the bulbs on the approved list can really be found anywhere.