Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to set a light to go on when I get home after dark

Question How to set a light to go on when I get home after dark

I'm looking for some advice on a sticky programming challenge I'm having. I'm open to design input related to this too.I would like to set up a light to turn on only when two conditions are met: 1) it is dark out (i.e. between dusk and dawn), and 2) I - or someone in my family - is arriving home. The light is in my entryway. This is a small vestibule between the exterior door (which is lit) and the interior door. The exterior light doesn't make it into the entryway, which is dark enough that I fumble to find the switch, and I can't see the lock to put the key in. I live in a city so most often I would not be driving, so a switch in the car to manage the lights is not a viable option. Since I'm walking, I don't want to have to fumble for a phone or gadget to turn the lights on (it would make me look vulnerable/like a target).I'm open to either an occupancy sensor or to using Google Home or IFTTT or similar to "see" my phone and use that as the proximity sensor. If there is anything else out there that doesn't require a gadget, I'd love to hear about it. I'd prefer to turn the light off manually once I've managed to unlock the inner door. So far I've figured out how to turn the light on all the time with the occupancy sensor, but I haven't figured out a way to restrict it by nighttime hours. I was hoping I could do this in Google Home, but I haven't managed that either (and really, it would need to do it for my husband and kids too). I googled this, but didn't find an answer. I was hoping someone here could help?

Quote Originally Posted by gscheiman View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on a sticky programming challenge I'm having. I'm open to design input related to this too.I would like to set up a light to turn on only when two conditions are met: 1) it is dark out (i.e. between dusk and dawn), and 2) I - or someone in my family - is arriving home. The light is in my entryway. This is a small vestibule between the exterior door (which is lit) and the interior door. The exterior light doesn't make it into the entryway, which is dark enough that I fumble to find the switch, and I can't see the lock to put the key in. I live in a city so most often I would not be driving, so a switch in the car to manage the lights is not a viable option. Since I'm walking, I don't want to have to fumble for a phone or gadget to turn the lights on (it would make me look vulnerable/like a target).I'm open to either an occupancy sensor or to using Google Home or IFTTT or similar to "see" my phone and use that as the proximity sensor. If there is anything else out there that doesn't require a gadget, I'd love to hear about it. I'd prefer to turn the light off manually once I've managed to unlock the inner door. So far I've figured out how to turn the light on all the time with the occupancy sensor, but I haven't figured out a way to restrict it by nighttime hours. I was hoping I could do this in Google Home, but I haven't managed that either (and really, it would need to do it for my husband and kids too). I googled this, but didn't find an answer. I was hoping someone here could help?
    The simplest solution is to use a PICO. It can fit in your pocket/bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshea View Post
    The simplest solution is to use a PICO. It can fit in your pocket/bag.
    Anything hands-free? If I went with a PICO, I'd need 4 (one for each family member) and the kids would prob forget theirs, and my husband would have yet another item to add in his pocket, and we'd all be fumbling in the dark. I'd prefer a solution that is hands-free.

Why not an Occ sensor that is enabled using the Schedule function. Enable motion at dusk and disable at dawn. Eric

You can mount 1 PICO on the wall in the vestibule.

Quote Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post
    Why not an Occ sensor that is enabled using the Schedule function. Enable motion at dusk and disable at dawn. Eric
    I like this idea, but couldn't find the schedule function that included dusk/dawn. Is that in Essentials?

Aha! I found it... in Timeclock. Many thanks!