Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DIY Door locks, Remote control

DIY Door locks, Remote control

Hello, I’m looking for DIY integration options for RadioRA 2, specifically door locks. I want to press a “Goodnight” scene on a keypad and have the exterior doors lock.
    In the future I’ll probably want to add a remote control system in my home theater that can power on a TV, and control a Grafik Eye, also control an Apple TV if possible.
    Most of the options I’ve came across such as Control4, Savant etc. are understandably not DIY and have much more than what I need.
    Should I look to a security system (Elk M1, Alarm.com etc.) for door locks and down the road get something else for Remote control or is there a system that does what I’m looking for?

Hubitat is the best DIY way to add conditional actions to a RadioRA 2 system. It will work with Zigbee and Z-Wave locks. If you are using an August Connect (some Yale, Emtek too) lock then you will have to use Home Assistant where there is a reverse engineered August integration. Home Assistant can control the Zigbee and Z-Wave locks, but is a bit more maintenance intensive than Hubitat.

Thanks, I’m checking out hubitat and it looks like it should work great. Do you have any experience doing home theater remote control with Hubitat?

You can integrate Harmony remotes with Hubitat. I think it's a home-brew integration but it has worked for me. Probably not best to try and control theater devices directly with Habitat (complicated user interface)

Great thanks. I’ll explore the harmony remote option.

I would also check out Charmed Quark / CQC which was recently open sourced: FREE. IMHO, the most powerful automation system out there. However, it's 100% customizable so prepare for some work.

I love the idea. It seems that you want to create a sort of intelligent home.

I love the idea. It seems that you want to create a sort of intelligent home. However, I don't want to disappoint you, but you won't be able to do all that without the help of a locksmith. Firstly, he knows how everything works, and I am sure you don't know much about a door lock. Secondly, he is a professional who understands and has access to the security system, which is essential if you want to change the lock setting on your door. So I suggest you call the guys from https://mylocallocksmithtx.com/ ,and to ask for help. They helped me once, and I am sure they will also be grateful to give you a hand.