Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maestro Timer and Bathroom Fan with LED bulb compatibility issue

Angry Maestro Timer and Bathroom Fan with LED bulb compatibility issue

I've decided to improve a bathroom lighting and installed MA-T51-LA timer to operate with High Performance 70 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Bath Fan with Light, ENERGY STAR*, Model #BFQF70. The fan has LED GU24 Light bulb (I've replaced original CFL light bulb with this LED light bulb to avoid having mercury at home). With regular switch this fan was working just fine. However after replacing those switch with Lutron Timer the light bulb started to flick every five seconds. The motor of the fan is working just fine at the same time. The fan total consumption is 27 Watts at 0.5 Amps.
    I think that it's something is wrong with the design of this Timer, because of the REGULAR CONSTANT 5 seconds flickering interval.

Also I just hate "1 minute turn off - turn on" warning, it's much better to make a "Beep" with an ability to set "Beep" signal level or even just turn it off. Who cares about the 1 minute warning if you took a shower and run the ventilation an additional time to eliminate moisture when nobody is in the bathroom anymore.

The device: MA-T51-LA Maestro Digital Timer
    The fan: High Performance 70 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Bath Fan with Light, ENERGY STAR*, Model #BFQF70
    LED Light Bulb: Feit Electric, Model # A19/DM/800/GU24/LED; 60W Equivalent Warm White (3000K) A19 LED Light Bulb.

This flashing is most likely from the small amperage the Maestro timer has remaining in the "off" to keep it's LED readout lit. I would call the tech support line at 844-LUTRON1 to see if they have a solution. This is a common issue on the Maestro switch and LED lighting when a neutral is not used. They have a device to correct the problem, but Tech would have to tell you if they can recommend it with the timer. The part number would be LUT-MLC shunt capacitor.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Dear SanDiegoRep. Thanks for your reply. I do not think that small amperage is an issue. This timer works just perfectly (except of a turn-off-on warning:)) in a garage with a lighting fixture equipped with two 60W LED bulbs. I suppose that 2 LED light bulbs consume less power than a motor and LED bulb combined.

!MIF!- What fan are you using? I had several customer complain of the same thing. I believe it is due to the nature of the digital dimming that Maestro uses and certain fan/light combos. They swapped to a Leviton (sorry, Big Blue) and the problem was resolved.

The fan model: Air King High Performance 70 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Bath Fan with Light, ENERGY STAR*, Model #BFQF70. The fan has Feit Electric, Model # A19/DM/800/GU24/LED; 60W Equivalent Warm White (3000K) A19 GU24 LED Light Bulb. I did not use a dimmer for this fan, but a timer. A Timer Switch is a perfect solution to run bathroom fan extended amount of time and then turn it off automaticaly.

!MIF!-
    My customers have had problems on various models of fans- Air King, Delta, Panasonic. I believe it's something to do with the new DC motors that everyone is using. If you were at my counter, I would still suggest the Leviton. Hopefully this thread is seen by someone at Lutron and a solution can be found to keep the look consistent throughout the house.

LEVITON timer switch looks ugly from my point of course. The motor on my King Air exhaust fan works fine, the sound is smooth with no breaks. The light bulb is flick every five seconds.

Katie H.
    !MIF!,

While the Maestro Countdown timers are not rated to control LEDs or CFLs, you may have better luck using the neutral based countdown timer. When the minimum load is not met on the MA-T51-XX, you will get a turning on and off every few seconds. The MA-T51MN-XX had a minimum load of 5 watts and is more likely so solve your issue.

I hope this helps.

Katie H.,

Thank you. I've already ordered MA-T51MN-XX. I will install it and let everyone know. About the minimum load: MA-T51-XX works just fine with 2 LED bulbs in a garage and 4 LED bulbs in a walk-in closet.

Got MA-T51MN-LA from Amazon and installed it. Air King bath fan with LED light bulb is working just fine. A light bulb does not flick anymore... Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast