Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Two Maestro Dimmers on same circuit - One flickering

Lightbulb Two Maestro Dimmers on same circuit - One flickering

Hello, I have installed two Meastro LED+ dimmer switches on two separate light sources. Both of these switches are on the same circuit and share a neutral connection. They're both in the kitchen. Both light fixtures have built in LED sources and are dimmable. Sometimes if both fixtures are dimmed, one of them flickers to the brightest setting very briefly (looks like a camera flash). This only happens to one of the fixtures, never the other. Is there anything I can install in-line on the neutral wire to prevent what appears to be power "feed back"?

I am having the same exact issue. Did you find a solution?

Solution - Buy a different dimmer

Never got a response from Lutron, but when I dug deeper I realized there is not a neutral wire on the Lutron dimmer switches. This is the real problem! I purchased a 3-pack of the Kasa Smart Dimmer switches. These have a Neutral wire. Now I have 3 on the same circuit and they dim beautifully and never flicker... and bonus I can control them with Alexa routines!

4. Thanks electric thanked for this post

Maestro Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Islander214 View Post
    Never got a response from Lutron, but when I dug deeper I realized there is not a neutral wire on the Lutron dimmer switches. This is the real problem! I purchased a 3-pack of the Kasa Smart Dimmer switches. These have a Neutral wire. Now I have 3 on the same circuit and they dim beautifully and never flicker... and bonus I can control them with Alexa routines!
    I doubt the neutral is the issue. Maestro dimmers don't need a 120v power supply to operate - they are not internet devices like Kasa dimmers, which are powering a wireless connection 24/7. Maestros can rely on a small leakage current through the connected lights/devices.

Anyhow, we just experienced this issue - actually we have three Maestros in one box, and only one flickers (it's got the smallest load, about 6 4w led candle-bulbs). Sometimes it's a bright flash, other times it steps up to a higher brightness for many seconds. I'm thinking it's just defective. It has worked fine for 2 years until now. And we have Maestro's all over the house; they've always been rock solid. Until now.

Oh, and I love the Kasa dimmers. Cheaper than Maestros, and no hub required. We ganged 3 together (via TP-link rules), so that three separate lights (outside our house) operate together via 3 separate dimmers. For years I wanted to do that with Maestros, but had no way to run wires between the switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander214 View Post

Thanks! I replaced it with a Maestro Pro which has a neutral connection, and no more light bulb flash!

Quote Originally Posted by jdstonge
    I doubt the neutral is the issue. Maestro dimmers don't need a 120v power supply to operate - they are not internet devices like Kasa dimmers, which are powering a wireless connection 24/7. Maestros can rely on a small leakage current through the connected lights/devices.

Anyhow, we just experienced this issue - actually we have three Maestros in one box, and only one flickers (it's got the smallest load, about 6 4w led candle-bulbs). Sometimes it's a bright flash, other times it steps up to a higher brightness for many seconds. I'm thinking it's just defective. It has worked fine for 2 years until now. And we have Maestro's all over the house; they've always been rock solid. Until now.

Oh, and I love the Kasa dimmers. Cheaper than Maestros, and no hub required. We ganged 3 together (via TP-link rules), so that three separate lights (outside our house) operate together via 3 separate dimmers. For years I wanted to do that with Maestros, but had no way to run wires between the switches.
    I thought it was a bad switch, but I replaced it with a regular Maestro and it had the same behavior. What's strange is that the other maestro on the same circuit never flickered and they both had the same exact light load, 4 puck lights each.

The maestro has about 50V on the wire even when it is turned "off".