Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AUX Repeater question

AUX Repeater question

I have had RadiioRA 2 essential setup in my home for over a year. Although all switches are working, I feel they are not instantaneous. My home is 3800 sqft 2 story home with main repeater located relatively center of the home. I wonder if I adding AUX repeater can help this situation.If so, another question is am I correct that Aux repeater can be connected to main repeater wirelessly?Thank you very much

There are 2 aux repeater options. The RR-AUX-REP-WH can be wired (4-conductor to main repeater) or wireless. The L-REPPRO is wireless only. Both require 120v power. The only difference is the REPPRO is a smaller form factor (easier to hide) and does not have a wired option. The repeaters can be 60 feet apart if connecting wirelessly.

Generally, you want your devices within 30 feet of a repeater. I've seen them work at much longer distances and not work at much shorter distances. You can try moving the main repeater around. Sometimes moving it a foot makes a difference. Make sure it is not in a rack or metal structure can. Steel also affects radio waves. It doesn't have to directly block the RF signal. Just being close can cause some distortion.

The main repeater creates a ~60-foot diameter bubble. When placing the main repeater try to get the most out of that bubble. Putting it on a table in the basement means most of your bubble is in the ground. High on the 2nd floor and your bubble is mostly in the attic.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

My house is 2,600 sq ft. What I did to ensure optimal placement of both my main repeater and my aux was to use the architectural floor plan. I then cut two paper circles at 60 feet diameter at the same scale (1/4" = 1') as the floor plan. This allowed me to place them onto the floor plan and move them around until I have full coverage. Then, based on that, I was able to install them. One on my garage ceiling and the other behind a credenza in my living room.Doing it this way took the guess work out of the process.

I have a 5000 square foot shop (50'x100') and a 2500 square foot house. How can I get the range I need to cover both structures?

Thanks,

Phillip

Depending on how far from the house the shop is, you might need a wired uplink for the aux repeater in the building. If the shop building is one big space, you might need just one repeater (you could add another if it became necessary)

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    There are 2 aux repeater options. The RR-AUX-REP-WH can be wired (4-conductor to main repeater) or wireless. The L-REPPRO is wireless only. Both require 120v power. The only difference is the REPPRO is a smaller form factor (easier to hide) and does not have a wired option. The repeaters can be 60 feet apart if connecting wirelessly. Generally, you want your devices within 30 feet of a repeater. I've seen them work at much longer distances and not work at much shorter distances. You can try moving the main repeater around. Sometimes moving it a foot makes a difference. Make sure it is not in a rack or metal structure can. Steel also affects radio waves. It doesn't have to directly block the RF signal. Just being close can cause some distortion.The main repeater creates a ~60-foot diameter bubble. When placing the main repeater try to get the most out of that bubble. Putting it on a table in the basement means most of your bubble is in the ground. High on the 2nd floor and your bubble is mostly in the attic.
    Thank you. I do not like to have wired connection, so it's good to know about wireless option. I actually did not know L-REPPRO so I will look into that option. All my switches are working but just seems to lag rather than instantaneous response.
    Quote Originally Posted by radioRA2automation View Post
    My house is 2,600 sq ft. What I did to ensure optimal placement of both my main repeater and my aux was to use the architectural floor plan. I then cut two paper circles at 60 feet diameter at the same scale (1/4" = 1') as the floor plan. This allowed me to place them onto the floor plan and move them around until I have full coverage. Then, based on that, I was able to install them. One on my garage ceiling and the other behind a credenza in my living room.Doing it this way took the guess work out of the process.
    Good tip. Thank you!