Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken "wishbone" under touchpad of RA-6D dimmer

broken "wishbone" under touchpad of RA-6D dimmer

Hi there! Hoping for some advice. I now have two of these RA-6D dimmers that would only work when touched on one side, so decided to disassemble one to analyze the problem. On that one, I found a clear plastic "wishbone" under the touchpad with both legs broken. Since these dimmers are no longer available, I figure I should try a repair by gluing the pieces back together. However, gluing plastic is very iffy unless you know what type of plastic it is, and I could find no markings to identify it for me. So my question - what type of plastic is the "wishbone" made of?

Lutron Technical Support
    All of the plastics in our dimmers are made of Polycarbonate.

That dimmer model is obsolete but the newer models are physically the same. I would call tech support. They will probably mail you one.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

called tech support

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I called tech support this morning and spoke to Dan. He said: - the part in the newer devices is not the same - they don't send parts anyway. They WILL make new RA-6D's on request, but since they are one-offs, the price is quite high ($100s). If I want to forego the radio feature, I could replace the two RA-6D's in question with Maestro CL's. He said these will still work with the RA-AD dimmers that are paired with the RA-6D's. Also I read last night about gluing polycarbonate. The best stuff is dangerous, and other options have flaws. Need to research further to confirm this. Anyway, I will now need to think about which approach I want to use ... By the way, I tried to "thank" and "like" each of your replies, but that did not seem to do anything. Thanks again! (I had nicely formatted this message, but the preview suggests it will appear as one long string of text.)

Quote Originally Posted by George1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I called tech support this morning and spoke to Dan. He said: - the part in the newer devices is not the same - they don't send parts anyway. They WILL make new RA-6D's on request, but since they are one-offs, the price is quite high ($100s). If I want to forego the radio feature, I could replace the two RA-6D's in question with Maestro CL's. He said these will still work with the RA-AD dimmers that are paired with the RA-6D's. Also I read last night about gluing polycarbonate. The best stuff is dangerous, and other options have flaws. Need to research further to confirm this. Anyway, I will now need to think about which approach I want to use ... By the way, I tried to "thank" and "like" each of your replies, but that did not seem to do anything. Thanks again! (I had nicely formatted this message, but the preview suggests it will appear as one long string of text.)
    The formatting thing has been broken for a while. As has the thank, like, etc.

Sorry to have mislead you. I was thinking of RadioRA 2. You can find used RA-6D dimmers online for $10 or less. Officially the plastics are not field changeable. Clearly you have mastered getting the plastics off. Keep in mind the older the plastics and the more heat they have been exposed to, the more brittle the plastic.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I've emailed obsoleteproducts@lutron.com, an address given me by Dan. It occurred to me that if they can build new RA-6d's, they probably have the parts available, and maybe I can get a couple.

Not a peep from them yet. I guess no one is monitoring that mailbox any more.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your post George1.

We do apologize for the delay in getting back to you. When you emailed in to us, did you get an auto reply from us? If so, could you please forward the email to systemsupport@lutron.com and we can work with you to help get this resolved for you. If you did not get an auto reply, could you please re-send the email to same email address and we can work with you directly. Hope this helps!

My original message, that I had sent to obsoleteproducts, I've now emailed to systemsupport. Got NO auto-reply on the original email, and none yet on the latest email (which I sent about a half-hour ago).

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by George1 View Post
    My original message, that I had sent to obsoleteproducts, I've now emailed to systemsupport. Got NO auto-reply on the original email, and none yet on the latest email (which I sent about a half-hour ago).
    Hello George. I apologize you are not getting any response. I can assure you that both those boxes are monitored and you typically get an auto response back within minutes with a case # and acknowledgement of receipt and a human response with 24/ 48 hrs. I am not sure what is happening in this case as we are actively getting e-mails in every day. Can you please call us to get this figured out. The tech you talk to can e-mail you directly and wait on your reply to make sure we get it. We can be reached at 1-844-588-7661. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast