Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Macs and Lutron Software

M1 Macs and Lutron Software

Can't find any threads on this yet, so...Apple will be moving all of its computers to its own silicon, starting with the M1 chip in the new MacBook Pros and Mac Minis. Most of us who use Macs run Lutron programming software just fine in Parallels or a similar virtual machine just fine. Parallels is working on a version that will run on M1 Macs, but it will only run the ARM version of Windows. It's unlikely they'll be able to create a version that will run Intel x86 Windows on an ARM chip.So, the question is whether Lutron is thinking about the future of its programming software and how to support non-x86 machines? I think it's increasingly likely that other chip architectures, especially ARM, will proliferate in modern portables. The new Macs can run iOS apps, as they use pretty much the same chip. Will Lutron consider turning their iOS/mobile apps into full-fledged programming environments? Or will we all be scrounging eBay for old Intel laptops 5 years from now to keep our old Inclusive software running?

I don't know for certain anything I am about to say- it's just conjecture.

The RadioRA2 Main repeater is very old this point, and so is the software. It has been built on for a decade now. I think Lutron has a new RA2 Main with built-in cloud capabilities coming in the not-so-distant future. I would also expect it to come with significantly refined software.

I doubt the current incarnation can be easily recompiled for ARM because it is such a complex application, but the next generation of software will almost certainly be able to handle ARM.

I don't think Lutron will build out the Connect app to be a programming app. The larger systems are intended to be dealer-programmed and use the dealer model so I would doubt they would throw that away. If I were a client I would be very frustrated to know that the programming software is on my phone, but locked out in software. I also don't want to program a 150 device system with a phone app.

Using old computers to interface with old systems is not a new thing. I have an older BMW that needs diagnostic software that only runs on Windows XP.

X86 Windows machines will be around for quite a while. I wouldn't worry about X86 becoming extinct in 2-3 years. Think more 10-15.

ARM Windows will run in emulation 32 bit Intel apps now and 64 bit is in beta. So the Lutron software might need some attention but it should be able to run eventually.

and fortunately it's not that demanding an app, so it may run in emulation on ARM for Windows in a virtual machine on an M1 Mac. But seriously.....

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    Can't find any threads on this yet, so...Apple will be moving all of its computers to its own silicon, starting with the M1 chip in the new MacBook Pros and Mac Minis. Most of us who use Macs run Lutron programming software just fine in Parallels or a similar virtual machine just fine. Parallels is working on a version that will run on M1 Macs, but it will only run the ARM version of Windows. It's unlikely they'll be able to create a version that will run Intel x86 Windows on an ARM chip.So, the question is whether Lutron is thinking about the future of its programming software and how to support non-x86 machines? I think it's increasingly likely that other chip architectures, especially ARM, will proliferate in modern portables. The new Macs can run iOS apps, as they use pretty much the same chip. Will Lutron consider turning their iOS/mobile apps into full-fledged programming environments? Or will we all be scrounging eBay for old Intel laptops 5 years from now to keep our old Inclusive software running? Official website
    Adobe releases a version of its photo-editing software that runs natively on Macs powered by Apple's own processor.

Thought I'd check in and see if anyone has actually run the Radio RA 2 software (or the new Designer software for that matter) in Parallels under Windows for ARM in X86 emulation mode (phew) on an M1 or M2 Mac? I'm about to replace my Intel Mac with an M2 MacBook Pro, and would like to know if I need to be looking at a cheap Windows laptop just for Lutron. Which would suck.

I use an old Mac laptop that is dual-booted into Windows. Old 2012-2013 MacBook Pro can keep up with Lutron no problem- and running in native OS always seems to be better and less problematic than a VM

The new Apple Silicon Macs don’t have BootCamp. There are some threads in Reddit that report success using Lutron tools on Macs running Parallels or VMWare with Windows for ARM, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/Lutron/comm...tm_name=iossmf. Seems like the networking can be tricky.

I have 2 MacBooksPro Laptops
    (1) 2016 16" running VMWare, Win10, just updated to Ventura, so far so good, in regards to no changes in Win10-VMWare
    (1) 2022 16" ARM, Running Win11 for now... just got it and just installed

Would like to get RA2 running so I don't have to upgrade everyone to RA3... haha.
    Anyone got the Win11 to work with 12.10 RA2? and or 12.0

I have some clients still on this, without the Bridge.
    But I am getting ahead of myself.

With the 2022 16", we just installed Win11 with Parallels, fresh install.
    URC Total Control seems to be good... and will be installing RA3.
    Got RA2 to boot up and running but does not discover the Proc or Bridge (Office system as example)
    Thoughts... I am hardlined through USB-C to Network jack
    Bradley
    elahome.com

With dongle to the Mac M1... then parallels win 11... connecting the adapter to Windows 11.. I can discover... will test download with new system, bench test.
    Bradley
    elahome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast