Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Upgrading Sivoia QS Wired Shades to Homekit - Need Help v2

Upgrading Sivoia QS Wired Shades to Homekit - Need Help v2

I'm new here guys! I had a Sivoia QS wired installed back in 2012 using IR controls using the QS IR EYE (not triathlon or wireless). The controller was a Crestron controller that controlled shades, music, lighting and cameras. As of today, nothing but the lighting works, and after spending a couple of thousand, nothings fixed. Contractor hasn't made any progress and just wants more money. I do have significant background in doing electrical/home reno but didn't have the time to do this back then, but do now with WFH due to Covid.

Getting to the point - Sivoia QS Wired - I'm looking into upgrading all to HomeKit. So far, these are the components I believe I need:
    QS Sensor - Lutron QSM2-4W-C QSM 434 - That will wire into where the keypad is currently.
    Pico Remotes - QSR4P-3R - I plan to use 6 remotes for 6 zones of 1-2 shades for a total of 10 shades.
    Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge Pro - L-BDGPRO2-WH - To support homekit

I have a couple of questions -

1) Will that work?
    I've reviewed some specs and it looks doable, most convinced by the below:
    https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ary/040249.pdf - page 165
    https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Product...omponents.aspx - shows compatibility of the 3 systems.

2) For Pico Remotes in the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge - Do I set them up as shades or as pico remotes?

3) For QS, can the wire go at any point the smart power panel as long as the wires are wired correctly?
    I see the keypad in at one point (8 top) and IR eye (6 bottom iirc) is in at another. The schematic said to go at the bottom of 5. Given the 3 different options, does it really not make a difference? I plan on extending out from the keypad, will that work? Based on the link below, it seems we can daisy chain and all should be good. Looking for a second vote of confidence.
    https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ry/0301604.pdf

Thank you :)
    Last edited by ssinha13; 02-13-2021 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Adding v2

Lutron Technical Support
    Unfortunately, this won’t work. The QSM2-4W-C allows you to control QS wired shades with Pico remotes, but won’t work with Caseta, as it is a wired link device and Caseta is completely RF-based. The QSM2 only works with systems that have a wired QS link, like Homeworks QS (residential)or Quantum (commercial).When you and the Pico remotes to the Caseta system as a Pico, the app will ask you if you would like to add it as a lighting or shade Pico. Choose shades.To have these shades work with Caseta, you would need to add an antenna to each shade. The antenna model number is QSYC-J-RCVR. Each shade has 2 cables coming out of the drive. One cable is for wired power and communication and the other is to connect an antenna for RF communication. When you connect the antenna to the shade, please make sure to disconnect the wires from pins 3 & 4 of the power/wire communication cable, otherwise the antenna is going to see too many shades, get confused, and not work.The QS shades can be connected to any of the 4-pin connectors at the panel. One thing to consider: If you link these shades to Caseta, you will lose use of the keypads. You can either use wired keypad communication to the shades, or you can use RF communication to the shades. You can’t use both.If you are looking to have both keypad control of the shades, and HomeKit control of the shades, for a residence, that can only be done through the Homeworks QS system.

Hey Brian,

Can I get Homeworks software or is it dealer only? If I can get it, it's the preferred method. But I'd like to be able to install and use it on my own.

Also, if I do get the QSYC-J-RCVR, can I buy it through Lutron or is it through dealer only? I see the online costs varying all over the place.

Also, if I go the route of installing a wireless antenna on each shade, can I assign Pico remotes to Caseta to create a master keypad for (ie: when the internet doesn't work for some reason)? And I would no longer need QSM2-4W-C, but rather get the homeworks QS HQP6-2? And the Homeworks + Caseta would work to get it homekit capable.

Thanks,
    Saurabh

Quote Originally Posted by ssinha13 View Post
    Hey Brian,

Can I get Homeworks software or is it dealer only? If I can get it, it's the preferred method. But I'd like to be able to install and use it on my own.

Also, if I do get the QSYC-J-RCVR, can I buy it through Lutron or is it through dealer only? I see the online costs varying all over the place.

Also, if I go the route of installing a wireless antenna on each shade, can I assign Pico remotes to Caseta to create a master keypad for (ie: when the internet doesn't work for some reason)? And I would no longer need QSM2-4W-C, but rather get the homeworks QS HQP6-2? And the Homeworks + Caseta would work to get it homekit capable.

Thanks,
    Saurabh
    Sounds like maybe RadioRA2 is your better bet. The software is accessible for DIYers, and it accommodates complete HomeKit integration. You'd convert all your QS to QS Wireless with the receivers Brian mentioned (which are always available through dealers or on eBay), and you'd transfer the entire system to a RA2 Main repeater and add a Connect Bridge for HomeKit integration.

An important addendum: Brian pointed out that you can have either wired communication or RF, not both. Switching to RadioRA2 does mean switching your system to RF....and that means not just adding to, but also replacing some components. Not cheap. But it sounds like you want a simplified system that just works, and integrates with HomeKit. Once you have it set up, a RadioRA2 system is rock-solid, works perfectly with HomeKit, and you can have all the Picos you want! haha

Lutron Technical Support
    Homeworks and Caseta don't work together. The Homeworks software is only available to Homeworks dealers. It's not available to the general public.If you make the shades wireless with the antennas, you wouldn't need to use the QSM2. Ra2 would be easier to use, like PAR-Designer suggested. You could just get the Ra2 Select Main Repeater (Model #RR-SEL-REP2-BL) and then use the Lutron app to set up the system and control them.

Will the QSYC-J-RCVR directly pair with the Lutron Smartbridge Pro using the app?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ssinha13 View Post
    Will the QSYC-J-RCVR directly pair with the Lutron Smartbridge Pro using the app?

Thanks guys!
    Also, regarding QSYC-J-RCVR - what is the difference between that and QSYC4-RCVR? Both are 434 Mhz. Are both compatible with Caseta Smart Bridge Pro (L-BDGPRO2)? Is there a manual on how to connect it to Caseta Smart Bridge Pro if I do use the wireless receiver? Is there any other controller required outside of Caseta Smart Bridge Pro? What is the reliability of the system if I choose this route?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Appreciate your help :)

Lutron Technical Support
    The QSYC4-RCVR is the previous version of the antenna, which is now the QSYC-J-RCVR. Both antennas will work with all Caseta bridges. As everything is done through the app, there isn't a manual on how to add it to the bridge. In the app, go to Add Device and select Shade/Blind/Drapery. When the indicator LED on the shade drive starts to flash, hold any of the buttons on the drive for 10 seconds. The app should advance to the next step. Just follow the remaining steps to finish adding the shade.