Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta In Line Dimmer

Caseta In Line Dimmer

Hi all, I have been searching for this product and I do not see anything like it in the Caseta family, but would there be a potential for a Caseta in wall dimmer? I know that this is a main feature of the RA2 families, but I have a bathroom with way too many switches and I would rather have them all be buttons on a Pico as they do not need to be dimmed. This would be easy if there was an in line Caseta dimmer but it would be redundant to have 4 caseta switches in a room with a 5th pico remote. with the upcoming Caseta Outdoor switch, wouldn't the groundwork be there for an in line dimmer? In all honesty, could an outdoor switch be spliced between the switch and the ceiling light with the switch wires connected to create the same set up?

Inline dimmers are not really used in North America in the way you are describing. If you have an attic above the space, you could install the dimmers in the attic and use Pico's to control. This would be better in Ra2 but can be done in Caseta.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    This would be better in Ra2 but can be done in Caseta.
    How could it be done with Caseta? sadly I have a few places in the house with an excess of non-dimmable switches that a 4 button Pico would be a much better solution for.

Install the Caseta switches in a closet or attic. Then just have the Picos in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    Install the Caseta switches in a closet or attic. Then just have the Picos in the room.
    fair, they could be wired in the linen closet, but is there not code against having switches in a closet like that?

It’s done routinely here in Southern/Central California. Of course you should check with your local codes but I have never heard of such a thing being illegal. A closet is a closet. The only thing I have heard of is prohibition on incandescent light bulbs in a closet (fire due to heat). Dimmers don’t get nearly that hot.