Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL flickers with 3 LED bulbs in ceiling fan fixture

PD-6WCL flickers with 3 LED bulbs in ceiling fan fixture

I installed a new Lutron Caseta PD-6WCL dimmer switch to control the light fixture of a ceiling fan. The fan has three candelabra bulb fixtures. With three LED bulbs, the LEDs flicker constantly, like a strobe light. With two LEDs and one incandescent bulb, all three bulbs work normally. I bought a brand new set of LED bulbs, rated for dimming, in case it was the older bulbs. The same behavior, maybe worse, with a constant stroboscopic flicker.I'm at a loss. Is the switch bad? Does Lutron not support LEDs? Or do I need a newer ceiling fan that supports LEDs? Do I need specific LED bulbs? Any help is appreciated. :)

Finding the right bulb/dimmer compatibility can be a challenge. You can try lutron.com/led. They only test what bulb manufacturers send in for testing. I generally find that EcoSmart (HomeDepot brand) works well.

Every dimmer has a minimum load level. In most cases it is one LED. Depending on the bulb it could be 3 or 4. Adding the incandescent pushes it way over the minimum load.

It's generally not an issue with screw-in LEDs but some may require reverse phase (ELV) dimming. The 6WCL does not support reverse phase dimming.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Finding the right bulb/dimmer compatibility can be a challenge. You can try lutron.com/led. They only test what bulb manufacturers send in for testing. I generally find that EcoSmart (HomeDepot brand) works well. Every dimmer has a minimum load level. In most cases it is one LED. Depending on the bulb it could be 3 or 4. Adding the incandescent pushes it way over the minimum load.It's generally not an issue with screw-in LEDs but some may require reverse phase (ELV) dimming. The 6WCL does not support reverse phase dimming.
    I can look for different LEDs. Sounds like the Caseta load balancer might also help?

Lutron Technical Support
    If you are talking about the LUT-MLC, it should only be used with either reverse phase dimmers (such as the PD-5NE for Caseta) or ON/OFF switches. The LUT-MLC was only designed to fix issues with ghosting (lights not turning all of the way off) and it is not recommend to be used in most other applications.

Hey, ShoutingMan! Yes, I think you should search for the specific LED bulbs or think about buying the smart strip lights instead.

Quote Originally Posted by packsmen View Post
    Hey, ShoutingMan! Yes, I think you should search for the specific LED bulbs or think about buying the smart strip lights instead.
    Both options can be good. It is too bad that you were not consulted about this when you were buying the Lutron Caseta dimmer. If I remember correctly, the dimmers of these series don't support the LED bulbs, but you can give it a shot and search the internet if it is possible to adjust the LED bulbs to your Lutron dimmer. Have a good luck :)