Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with retrofit from TuWire dimmer DVFTU to RadioRA2 using PHPM-PA-DV

Unhappy Help with retrofit from TuWire dimmer DVFTU to RadioRA2 using PHPM-PA-DV

Hello All,
    Client has fluorescent tubes installed in alcoves throughout apartment. System uses Lutron Tu-Wire ballast and a Diva dimmer DVFTU-5A3P. There seems to be no RA2 dimmer that could replace the DVFTU. Lutron Tech Support therefore recommended adding a PHPM-PA-DV module and use RRD-10ND dimmer. If I do that, where do I install the PHPM module? Can this be installed next to the ballast inside the alcove where the fluo tubes are? I don't think the client will want to do drywall work at this point, much less have a two-gang faceplate in the wall with a dummy cover. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    Hello All,
    Client has fluorescent tubes installed in alcoves throughout apartment. System uses Lutron Tu-Wire ballast and a Diva dimmer DVFTU-5A3P. There seems to be no RA2 dimmer that could replace the DVFTU. Lutron Tech Support therefore recommended adding a PHPM-PA-DV module and use RRD-10ND dimmer. If I do that, where do I install the PHPM module? Can this be installed next to the ballast inside the alcove where the fluo tubes are? I don't think the client will want to do drywall work at this point, much less have a two-gang faceplate in the wall with a dummy cover. Thank you in advance.
    I think the PHPM-PA-DV requires a constant 120/240VAC feed, so I'm not sure you can install it at the alcove. It's not simply an in-line device, it requires unswitched AC power along with the 'control circuit' that is the dimmed output from the RRD-10ND.

I've seen them old-worked from the dimmer location DOWN the wall, so the PHPM is just above the baseboard. It's less obtrusive that way. This should allow you to tap off the feed from the unswitched side of the dimmer box splices.

3. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post