Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta switch for many fluorescents?

Caseta switch for many fluorescents?

I have a cellar with three entrances (one interior and two exterior hatches). There is only one switch, at the internal stairs. I would like to add a smart switch so I can toggle the lights from the external stairs on my phone. I already have caseta dimmers and hub elsewhere in the house.The existing switch has no neutral (the house is 120 years old) and powers 5 pairs of T8 florescent tubes, 1 set of LED "tubes" (meant to look like 2 T8 but really not tubes), and a single CFL bulb (total of 11 fluorescents lights + 1 LED).I think the product I would want is PD-5WS-DV-WH, I found specs here but don't totally understand them:https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...9831_ENG.pdfMy questions are:Is it OK to use this switch with this load?If it does work, I think I will not need a LUT-MLC3, correct?If it does not work, would swapping in LED tube lights into some or all of the existing fixtures put me in a better position?Many thanks!

Better formatting!

I have a cellar with three entrances (one interior and two exterior hatches). There is only one switch, at the internal stairs. I would like to add a smart switch so I can toggle the lights from the external stairs on my phone. I already have caseta dimmers and hub elsewhere in the house.

The existing switch has no neutral (the house is 120 years old) and powers 5 pairs of T8 florescent tubes, 1 set of LED "tubes" (meant to look like 2 T8 but really not tubes), and a single CFL bulb (total of 11 fluorescents lights + 1 LED).

I think the product I would want is PD-5WS-DV-WH, I found specs here but don't totally understand them:https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...369831_ENG.pdf

My questions are:
    • Is it OK to use this switch with this load?
    • If it does work, I think I will not need a LUT-MLC3, correct?
    • If it does not work, would swapping in LED tube lights into some or all of the existing fixtures put me in a better position?

Any other advice about this application is most welcome!

Many thanks!

Lutron's reply

I emailed Lutron support as well and got the following reply:

We appreciate your inquiry. The PD-5WS-DV is our non-neutral based Caseta on/off switch. This is ratings for all lighting loads, including fluorescents. It's rated for a maximum of 5A of lights and does require the shunt capacitor, model LUT-MLC, to be installed between the switched hot and neutral either at the light if you have access to the wiring or in the wallbox. If you find that you lighting load is more than 5A, swapping these out for LED's to decreased the wattage may be better for your application. We hope this helps! Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Each of my 10 T8s are 32 Watts, the CFL is probably 7 Watts, the LED tubes are maybe 12 Watts. Total around 340 Watts. By my calculations I'm well under 5 Amps so I should be good to go!

I'm still not clear why I need the LUT-MLC, but I guess I can try it without and install if I find any issues.
    Last edited by phripley; 01-22-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: formatting!

Lutron Technical Support
    With CFL and LED's it is recommended to use the LUT-MLC that is provided in the same packaging of the PD-5WS-DV Caseta switch. This ensures proper start up and turn off of the switch with smaller loads. You may get away with not installing, however it is recommended for use with these load types. Typically only one is needed per circuit and should be placed in the junction box of the fixture wiring. Does not matter which fixture.

How were you able to format your post? I have not been able to figure this out and all of my paragraphs get massed to together into one mass. I would love to be able to format like this.

Go into your settings and switch to the "basic" editor. That fixed it for me. You can also add line breaks with < br >