Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Infratech Heaters and 0-10v. EPC-1-D???

Infratech Heaters and 0-10v. EPC-1-D???

Hi Gang,

I'm designing a RA2 system to control some Infratech heaters via their home control panel and LMJ-5T-DV-Bs.Application Note #655 Says I need to use a LVS Controls EPC-1-D to integrate. I'm assuming this is to serve as a cutoff on the low end not being low enough to fully turn off heaters. This is based on the other threads regarding this combination.

My question is why the EPC-1-D and not just a relay? The EPC-1-D is expensive ($200 plus) and seems like they are just utilizing it as a simple relay.I can't see why an emergency lighting control is the right part for this.

It looks to me like you would just connect the 120v switching output of LMJ-5T-DV-B to control a relay that would interrupt the 0-10v signal and accomplish the same thing.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,Thank you for your inquiry. The EPC-1-D was chosen for this application due to its specific nature in regards to the 0-10 volt application. While this may work with a different relay or unit, we cannot recommend it and it would be considered out of spec / unsupported at that point. We advise staying with the information provided by our engineers in the application note.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    Hello,Thank you for your inquiry. The EPC-1-D was chosen for this application due to its specific nature in regards to the 0-10 volt application. While this may work with a different relay or unit, we cannot recommend it and it would be considered out of spec / unsupported at that point. We advise staying with the information provided by our engineers in the application note.
    Th only problem is. The EPC-1-D has been discontinued and replaced by the EPC-2-D which has different wiring than the previous model. So the information from the engineers is outdated. I was more just interested in why you are using a an item clearly outside of it's intended purpose in what would seem to be an application as a simple relay.

Quote Originally Posted by whackit View Post
    The EPC-1-D has been discontinued and replaced by the EPC-2-D which has different wiring than the previous model.
    I just did some research and spoke to a very helpful engineer at LVS. It basically is just using the Control as a relay as I thought. You can get the EPC-2-D fairly reasonably so I'll just use that. But a relay would work as well.

For those of you wiring an EPC-2-D in this situation the wiring changes are as follows:

The "hot" connection is a single black wire regardless of voltage. The EPC-2-D auto adjust the voltage instead of having separate wires like EPC-1-D.The red and blue low voltage wires on the EPC-1-D are now a single loop of violet wire that comes out of the EPC-2-D. You cut this wire and use either side. It's just a switch so there is no polarity. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by whackit View Post
    I just did some research and spoke to a very helpful engineer at LVS. It basically is just using the Control as a relay as I thought. You can get the EPC-2-D fairly reasonably so I'll just use that. But a relay would work as well.

For those of you wiring an EPC-2-D in this situation the wiring changes are as follows:

The "hot" connection is a single black wire regardless of voltage. The EPC-2-D auto adjust the voltage instead of having separate wires like EPC-1-D.The red and blue low voltage wires on the EPC-1-D are now a single loop of violet wire that comes out of the EPC-2-D. You cut this wire and use either side. It's just a switch so there is no polarity. Hope this helps.
    Hi Guys, thanks for your information, I just make a connection linking LMJ-5T-DV-B + EPC-2-D with a controller INFRATECH heater. While I cannot understand how the EPC-2-D works. Without it, I just press the POWER button on the LMJ-5T-DV-B can power off the relay in the controller supplied by the infratech. can you please advise me what's the usage of EPC-2-D? thanks