Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MS-OPS2H manual bypass switch?

MS-OPS2H manual bypass switch?

I am thinking of installing an MS-OPS2H switch to control a 48" LED strip in my garage. The light is most often used momentarily when passing through the garage in the dark, but it is mounted over a work bench, so sometimes the light is used for task illumination for a longer period of time. I have searched the OEM documentation, but have not been able to determine for sure if the OPS2H has a manual override or not. It appears that it does not, but please correct me if I'm wrong. (I don't have one in-hand to figure out for myself.)

Would there be any problem with installing a conventional manual switch in the the hot (black) wire in parallel with the OPS2H? I'm thinking this would bypass the OPS2H to allow full manual control for times that I want the light to stay on continuously, then opening the switch would revert back to auto-control.

I'm not sure if a simple single-pole switch in parallel would work, or if a more sophisticated switch would be needed to disconnect the hot wire from the OPS2H while the manual switch is closed - or if there is some reason that such a bypass would not work at all.

Thanks.

Looking at the multiple views on the Home Depot website, It shows to have a manual override switch. Theoretically, you should be able to get away with back feeding the device as long as you are using the same circuit.

Yes, back feeding is a good way to describe it, which is what is happening when the parallel manual switch is closed. I didn't know if the OPS2H would like that or not.

And there is a manual switch on the device, but my understanding is when pressed, the light only stays on for the timed interval, which I would normally only set for a minute or so, for entry in the dark. Hence the need to switch it manually when needed.

Only one way to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFord View Post
    Only one way to find out?
    I suppose so...

Possible that the device will not like the back feed. But I really don't think that there will be any damage to the device. And should recover as soon as the back feed is removed.