Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD-5ANS only seems to work corectly with one LED bulb

Question PD-5ANS only seems to work corectly with one LED bulb

I have two different sets of lights I am trying to control

• Set 1 - Garage
    • 2 bulbs - 60W LED (not equivalent, 60W each) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • 3 way switch
    • Location 1 is the PD-5ANS
    • Location 2 is the Pico remote. so the runners and load are tied together. (get same behavior if I wire in the switch at location 2)

One bulb in the outlet works fine. With two bulbs it works for a few minutes and then stops. At that point I have to remove power to the switch and it starts to work again until it doesn't

I like these bulbs a lot and will forgo the Caseta switches to use them if I have to.

Again, one bulb in the outlet works fine. With two or more bulbs it works for one or two cycles and then stops. At that point I have to remove power to the switch and it starts to work again until it doesn't

In both cases I have the switch wired as follows:
    • Location 1:
    • Green - Ground
    • Blue - capped off
    • White - to neutral/return
    • Red - to "main" (the one you put the tape on)
    • Black - to the red and black runners to location 2

• Location 2: Runners and "main" twisted together Ground capped off

Any help/correction would be greatly appreciated.

You've got good wattage in both cases, so it's not related to low-load issues. And your wiring all sounds correct. It's likely an issue with those particular bulbs/fixtures... I love Caseta, but it can be frustratingly finicky with LED bulbs. Do you have some definitely-known-to-compliant LED bulbs or any plain incandescent bulbs you can put in to test? If those work OK, then at least you know it's not a wiring issue.

Alright, that's good to know. I don't have any known compliant bulbs. Just Amazon A type and those big ones in the garage. Interestingly I have a 3 way setup in the basement with two of the Amazon 100W bulbs and 1 of those big lights and it works fine. I see if I can dig up some incandescent to double check the switches are working correctly. Thanks.

Different bulbs worked Outside

Okay. I replaced the 4 outside lights https://www.poweredbyefi.org/masssav...-incented.html with 4 Amazon type A 14W https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they seem to be working fine. Ugly, but fine.

I could not find a compatibility list for this switch type.Only for the dimmers. Will keep looking

It's a shame about the garage lights https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I will have to put the old light switches back because those lights are amazing.

For the lights in the garage (set 1) I am considering using a solid state relay like this https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073B4R4...v_ov_lig_dp_it. Need one with the right specs. I can suffer the clicking sound since it will be out in the garage. Will have the caseta cycle relay and separate the caseta switch from the bulbs themselves. No idea if it will work but will report back.

Lutron support is sending me a couple of the LUT-MLCs to try out. I'll update here once I have given them a try.

The LUT-MLCs that Lutron support sent out arrive and I tried one, two, and three. No joy, even with incandescent lights. Thinking I got two defective switches?? Too bad, I really like these.

Lutron support has been *very* willing to help. They even sent out a couple PD-6ANS switches, but unfortunately those don't seem to be working either. At this point I am wondering if it is the wiring itself or I just don't know what I am doing. I do have one PD-5ANS in a 3 way outlet working with no issue. In that setup I did leave the other normal switch in and used the yellow jumper cable that came in the box for that. In addition I have 2 of the dimmer switches in 2 way setups that also work without issue.

Final update. I replaced the switches (PD-5ANS and PD-6ANS) with a Caseta dimmer (PDW-6WCL-WH-A) unit and it works fine with any bulb (Led, Halogen, incandescent) I put in the four sconces. Oddly I bought the switch because I didn't need dimming and there are not supposed be bulb compatibility issues with the switches at all. A little odd to have the lights outside the house dim as they get turned off but they are controllable now.

So are you saying you can use non-dimmable LED bulbs with a dimmer? I have two of these I'm trying to control with a PD-6ANS in a three way circuit. One works fine, but when I add the second, they don't turn on, even with the indicator on the Caseta showing it's on.I'm wondering about trying a dimmer instead if that is working for you. Or just going back to basic 3 way switches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast