Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Dimmer in the foyer controlling a chandelier

Caseta Dimmer in the foyer controlling a chandelier

Last week I installed the Caseta wireless starter kit for my foyer. It is a two gang. I installed the regular switch that requires a neutral to power the front porch / garage lights. It is on the left and I removed the center tabs. I installed the dimmer switch (PD-6WCL) that came with the starter kit. It did not require a neutral. I capped off the wires in the upstairs that also controls this switch and turned the power on. I set up the switch and paired the pico remote and everything worked. I had not yet bought "proper" bulbs but I figured waiting one week would not hurt. About 3 days later the chandelier just quit working. The switch still shows up in the Lutron app as working but there are no lights on the switch itself. Just today, I went out and bought certified Phillips bulbs and replaced them all. It still would not work. I then turned off the power and disassembled the switch. I turned the power back on and tested power to the wires. The switch IS getting power but the light is not working. I then installed a "dumb" switch and tried that. It would not work either. I have not checked the chandelier itself yet. Doing so will require renting scaffolding or buying an extra high ladder to reach it. Could I have blown out the wiring in the chandelier somehow? Any other suggestions on what to check?

If there are no LEDs on the dimmer then it is most likely the circuit is not complete. You should check all the connections in the 3-way box. I wouldn't think the dimmer would be fried by incompatible bulbs in just 3 days. It sounds to me that there is a loose connection somewhere. If that doesn't fix it, you can see if the fixture has power by probing the light bulb socket with a multimeter. I would think that it does not. My suspicion is where you capped off the 3 way switch.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    If there are no LEDs on the dimmer then it is most likely the circuit is not complete. You should check all the connections in the 3-way box. I wouldn't think the dimmer would be fried by incompatible bulbs in just 3 days. It sounds to me that there is a loose connection somewhere. If that doesn't fix it, you can see if the fixture has power by probing the light bulb socket with a multimeter. I would think that it does not. My suspicion is where you capped off the 3 way switch.
    Thanks. I'll do that. And just to verify, all three of the wires in the other 3-way switch are supposed to be capped off together. Correct?

Lutron Technical Support
    Correct. Wires are to be capped in other three way location.