Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5WS or PD-6ANS or PD-6WCL

Question PD-5WS or PD-6ANS or PD-6WCL

Hello Lutronites!Can you help me determine which Caseta light switch I should buy? I am looking at the PD-5WS, PD-6ANS, PD-6WCL for a light switch. I have a neutral wire.

Quote Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
    Hello Lutronites!Can you help me determine which Caseta light switch I should buy? I am looking at the PD-5WS, PD-6ANS, PD-6WCL for a light switch. I have a neutral wire.
    PD-6WCL is a dimmer, not simple switches (dimmers can also be used as simple switches too); PD-5WS is for switches missing a neutral (you could always just not connect the neutral, but most recommend using the neutral whenever available) so PD-6ANS would be the best choice. There is also the PD-5NE if you want a dimmer with neutral wire support.

It depends on what you are trying to control.

The 5WS and 6ANS are on/off only. I'd go with the 6ANS as it has a neutral connection and therefore compatibility with a wider range of LEDs. You may also see a 5ANS which is an older version of the 6ANS.

The 6WCL is a good dimmer. The 10NXD is a bit more expensive but has a neutral connection so more compatibility. The 5NE supports forward and reverse phase and has a neutral connection. It is more expensive so if you don't need reverse phase my choice would be the 10NXD.

The only dimmer that supports non-dim/switched loads is the plug-in dimmer. All Caseta wall dimmers use a TRIAC which constantly turns power on/off. Non-dim loads are not going to like that. You could damage the load and/or dimmer.

You can find compatible dimmer/bulb combinations at lutron.com/led.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com