Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Out Late button

Out Late button

A client with a Homeworks Illumination system is looking for help with a pretty basic request- I sympathize, as I kind of want this feature in my home.
    The Lutron System has a timer for exterior lights. Timeclock turns on that scene at sunset, and then turns off that scene at 11pm.
    Right now there is button marked 'exterior' at the mudroom egress door that is a dumb toggle- a smaller part of the exterior scene toggles on and off regardless of timeclock or time of day.
    The client is frustrated because what they really want is a button that I would call 'out late'- if they are going out to dinner at 8pm and know that they'll be out later than 11pm, they want the timeclock to skip the 11pm function and just let the dawn "all exterior off" button clean things up in the morning.

As I type this, it sounds like I need to make the 11pm Exterior Off timeclock event conditional, with a variable that is set by the Exterior button. If the button is pressed, the Out Late variable is TRUE and the 11pm timeclock doesn't happen. I can then use the Dawn Exterior Off timeclock to reset the Out Late variable to FALSE.

Does anyone have an established way they give a client this sort of functionality? I think this is the sort of problem that has too many solutions.

I would go down the path you have suggested I would make the time clock event conditional like you said have the "Out Late" button set a variable within the condition for the off of the lights so they stay on later when true The only thing I would consider is making that mud room egress door toggle have a hold that sets the variable back at a specific time. I would think you could make the Led flash when in out late mode by having the hold actually work an automatic sequence so in the true step led flashes then after X amount of time it goes to the next step to set it false Just a quick thought i had

3. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    I would go down the path you have suggested I would make the time clock event conditional like you said have the "Out Late" button set a variable within the condition for the off of the lights so they stay on later when true The only thing I would consider is making that mud room egress door toggle have a hold that sets the variable back at a specific time. I would think you could make the Led flash when in out late mode by having the hold actually work an automatic sequence so in the true step led flashes then after X amount of time it goes to the next step to set it false Just a quick thought i had
    Thanks for the ideas. If it was my house, I'd consider the press and hold action, but from experience, generally users forget that kind of special action.

I wrote a bunch of variable and conditionals so I could track whether one of the exterior or landscape timers was running, and created a variable that was "out late" as well. the concept is- client goes to leave the house, lights are on, presses the out late button, and now the 11pm off timer is a conditional that shuts off most of the lights except the entry porches. The Dawn All Off timer will clean up the porch lights in the morning, and reset the Out Late variable to false.

I also had our Crestron programmer create some new buttons so the client can easily check to see if the Out Late function is enabled. And this is where things got weird. The feedback on this Phantom Keypad button seems to be backwards.

Does anyone know if a phantom keypad button with toggle and room logic will track a variable state so that if the variable is set to TRUE, the LED is lit, and if FALSE, the LED will be off? It seemed to be working backwards when I checked.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. If it was my house, I'd consider the press and hold action, but from experience, generally users forget that kind of special action.

I wrote a bunch of variable and conditionals so I could track whether one of the exterior or landscape timers was running, and created a variable that was "out late" as well. the concept is- client goes to leave the house, lights are on, presses the out late button, and now the 11pm off timer is a conditional that shuts off most of the lights except the entry porches. The Dawn All Off timer will clean up the porch lights in the morning, and reset the Out Late variable to false.

I also had our Crestron programmer create some new buttons so the client can easily check to see if the Out Late function is enabled. And this is where things got weird. The feedback on this Phantom Keypad button seems to be backwards.

Does anyone know if a phantom keypad button with toggle and room logic will track a variable state so that if the variable is set to TRUE, the LED is lit, and if FALSE, the LED will be off? It seemed to be working backwards when I checked.
    digit1,

Thank you for the information.

If you are only tracking a variable state then we recommend using SCENE LED logic. If the Variable is not set to the "Press On" value then the LED will off.