Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Experience with dimmable built-in LED light fixtures?

Question Experience with dimmable built-in LED light fixtures?

Hi, I'm very new to smart home devices in general and I'm very interested in the Caseta system; however, I was wondering what kind of experience people had with dimmable built-in light fixtures (ones you cannot change the bulbs for like this https://lightblueusa.com/product/16-...iling-fixture/) and if/how they worked with the smart dimmer such as PD-6WCL? I know Lutron can't test every single device out there, but the LED selection tool seems to really only list bulbs, not a single fixture so I couldn't even try to limit my choices to known compatible ones.Thank you for any input.

I have 3 outside sconces with integral LEDs. 2 of them work great all the time. 1 of them I have to reset the dimmer ~once per month. Same dimmer, same application, same fixture. The only difference is the first 2 are normally turned on via a timed event and the third one is normally turned on manually.

FWIW, I would not buy them again. If the LED or driver dies I have to change the fixture and not just a bulb. I'll probably have to do all 3 to make them match.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Here in California, most fixtures are integrated LED per code. I would only purchase a fixture from a high quality manufacturer that has a dimmer compatibility list.

Let me add that sometimes different production runs of the same fixture can produce different results. You really just have to test them. Lutron snootily tells me, "We don't test fixtures. We only test bulbs." That's quite unhelpful these days when there are so many LED fixtures, and like you say, California Title 24 doesn't usually allow bulb sockets, to prevent someone from sticking a 150W incandescent in there.

Also during the production process the manufacturer could update their led drivers too.

Actually, I was almost hoping for it to go the other way around: find some LED appliance manufacturers that tested with Caseta explicitly; I feel it would be a great selling point for them. It would also help if we knew if LEDs working with the Maestro line usually worked with Caseta too. Any additional information from Lutron that would help us understand what makes some LEDs work or not would be better that "use our list or take a guess" lol.