Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Obtaining a true switched output from a WPM zone

Question Obtaining a true switched output from a WPM zone

We have an existing installation using WPMs from an Illumination H8P5 processor.

The client wishes to connect some high power (30w) LED Floodlights that have integral electronic power supplies.

Even when set to non-dim the zone output of the WPM doesn't provide a true clean sine wave, and we are not happy to connect the LED floods electronic power supplies directly to it.

Normally one would use a GRX-TVI on the zone aoutput and then connect the LEDs to the relay switched output of the TVI.
    Unfortunately there is insufficient space around the WPM to add a TVI, so we are looking for a solution to assist the customer in this circumstance.

The WPMs have a relay switched output, but that is active when any zone is above zero, and can't be allocated to a particular zone, so isn't a lot of help.

Does anyone know of a device with a relay switched output that would connect to a zone output of a WPM set to non-dim. I suspect, although I've not tried it, a regular relay/contactor will buzz, and will require a LUT-LBX as well to load the zone (we could fit that in though).

I've never seen one, but maybe there is a third party device that converts a phase dimmed supply to a true switched output?

Thx.

PHPM-SW-DV-WH should work?

Lutron?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The PHPM-SW-DV-WH is the recommeded solution you are looking for. Since you noted that you did have enough room for an LUT-LBX, the PHPM-SW will fit nicely because it uses the same size wallbox.

Thanks guys, that sounds ideal.
    Matt, are you aware whether the PHPM-SW-DV-WH is CE approved and available in the UK?
    In this instance CE isn't a particular concern, however, getting one over here may be a problem if it's not CE and isn't on Lutron EA's product list?

The PHPM-SW is not rated to use in the UK nor is it recommended for 230V(CE) circuits. For your application we would recommend the NGRX-FDBI-AU-WH, which will also install into a 2 gang wallbox just like a PHPM-SW.

Thanks Matt, but I was advised the FDBI doesn't have a relay switched output?

Also, I'm told the NGRX-FDBI-AU-WH isn't available in Europe.
    However, can you confirm whether it is a true relay output?

You are correct that the FDBI does not have a relay switched output. Unfortunately for your application and voltage we do not have a relay option available for your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Helluvaname View Post
    We have an existing installation using WPMs from an Illumination H8P5 processor.

The client wishes to connect some high power (30w) LED Floodlights that have integral electronic power supplies.

Even when set to non-dim the zone output of the WPM doesn't provide a true clean sine wave, and we are not happy to connect the LED floods electronic power supplies directly to it.

Normally one would use a GRX-TVI on the zone aoutput and then connect the LEDs to the relay switched output of the TVI.
    Unfortunately there is insufficient space around the WPM to add a TVI, so we are looking for a solution to assist the customer in this circumstance.

The WPMs have a relay switched output, but that is active when any zone is above zero, and can't be allocated to a particular zone, so isn't a lot of help.

Does anyone know of a device with a relay switched output that would connect to a zone output of a WPM set to non-dim. I suspect, although I've not tried it, a regular relay/contactor will buzz, and will require a LUT-LBX as well to load the zone (we could fit that in though).

I've never seen one, but maybe there is a third party device that converts a phase dimmed supply to a true switched output?

Thx.
    Why not simply use a Lighting Contactor with the WPM controlling the coil?

That's a shame Matt :(

Mike, we'd need a LUT-LBX, to cover the minimum load requirements of the WPM zone output, and I'm not sure whether the contactor would buzz as I think the non-dim setting still clips the waveform slightly.
    That looks like the last option to try before changing the system out for another make :((