Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Extra wires - unique setup

Extra wires - unique setup

Trying to install a Caseta dimmer switch with Pico remote for 3-way control. This setup is different than some might be, so I'll try to explain:ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION OF SWITCH BOX...Left Side: Standard dimmer switch set up as a 3-way. Went to can lights in the ceiling plus a ceiling fan light. Other switch on the circuit was a 3-way on/off switch.Right Side: Variable speed ceiling fan control (knob type; Off + 3 speeds).CURRENT CONFIGURATION (contractor set this up last year)...Left Side: Same as before, but no longer including the light in the ceiling fan.Right Side: Dimmer knob removed. Ceiling fan removed and replaced with video projector plugged into a new ceiling outlet installed on the same circuit (I think), wired as always hot. (No switch in the box anymore.)NEW GOAL...Left Side: Replace existing dimmer with Caseta wireless dimmer. Install Pico remote on the other side of the circuit to allow for 3-way control.Right Side: Leave same as current.I followed the Lutron instructions as best I could: Green wire to copper ground wire. 1 black wire to red and blue leads in the wall. Trick is there are three additional wires in the wall, all black, all threaded together when connected to the old switch. I've assumed they are all common wires, so I put them with the remaining black wire on the Caseta dimmer. I wired up the other side of the circuit as directed in the instructions. When I turn the circuit breaker on, it trips a moment later. I assume something is overloaded? What can I do?

At the Pico end, tie all 3 of the wires that are attached to the switch together.

At the dimmer, connect the 3 wires that are tied together to one black. There should be 2 wires coming from the Pico end. Tie those to the other black.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com