Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Occupancy sensor sensitivity and vacancy delay

Occupancy sensor sensitivity and vacancy delay

I want to control the step lights in my theater with a wireless powr saver motion sensor so that the step lights come on any time someone is in the theater and turn off when everyone leaves. I am sure the motion sensor will turn on the light but lets say there is just one person sitting there watching a movie, is it sensitive enough to keep the step lights on even with minimal movement by the theater occupant(s)?If it's not sensitive enough to keep the lights on then I have to rely on the vacancy mode to keep the lights from turning off mid-movie. What is the longest delay you can set? Can you set it to something like three hours to make sure the lights don't turn off until after the movie?

Use them all the time. But have not had a need for the low motion setting.
    Motion can be 3 settings and the "sitting" options is supposed to be able to detect typing.
    Time out can be 1,5,15,30 miin

Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    Use them all the time. But have not had a need for the low motion setting. Motion can be 3 settings and the "sitting" options is supposed to be able to detect typing.Time out can be 1,5,15,30 miin
    If it is sensitive enough to detect typing it sounds like it may be sensitive enough to detecting sitting and watching a movie, especially with a delay of 30 minutes or more. I know those are the preset delays, but is it possible in Inclusive software to set a longer vacancy delay than that?

Some jurisdictions don't allow you to automatically turn lights on. Vacancy mode is manual on/auto off to accommodate this restriction. It doesn't sound like vacancy mode will help.

In RA2 you can add a delay of up to 4 hours on the off/unoccupied setting. Keep in mind this delay will occur every time. If you have the sensor set at 30 minutes and the delay set at 30 minutes you are going to have to wait an hour for the lights to go off... every time.

You will also have 2 timers in place. One in the sensor and one in the RA2 software. If the sensor times out and sends the signal to the RA2, the software starts its 30 minute delay. If motion occurs half way through the delay, I don't think the delay gets reset. I believe the lights will turn out 15 minutes later (end of the delay). I haven't tried it so I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    In RA2 you can add a delay of up to 4 hours on the off/unoccupied setting. Keep in mind this delay will occur every time. If you have the sensor set at 30 minutes and the delay set at 30 minutes you are going to have to wait an hour for the lights to go off... every time. You will also have 2 timers in place. One in the sensor and one in the RA2 software. If the sensor times out and sends the signal to the RA2, the software starts its 30 minute delay. If motion occurs half way through the delay, I don't think the delay gets reset. I believe the lights will turn out 15 minutes later (end of the delay). I haven't tried it so I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Are you saying that the delay in Inclusive does not override the delay setting manually set on the sensor (with the buttons)? They always stack? Also, what you're saying about the delay not being reset by motion doesn't make much sense. If you have a 30 minute delay and there is motion after 29 minutes, the lights will will go off one minute later? Or if you walk out for just one minute and the delay starts, then re-entering the room won't stop the lights from turning off? That doesn't sound right.

OK, I have tested all this and answered my questions. Posting results for the benefit of anyone who sees this thread in the future.

Yes, the two delays (sensor and software) stack together. Which is really dumb in my opinion - the software should override the sensor. Making matters worse, the Lutron Connect app adheres to the sensor delay only; so in the example above, after the 30 minute delay on the sensor expires the Lutron Connect app will show the lights are off even though they will actually stay on for 30 minutes longer.

Regarding resetting due to motion, if there is motion after the sensor's delay has lapsed (between 30-60 minutes in the example above) it will reset the timer. And it will reset the full sensor+software delay (60 minutes in the example above).