Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Switch PD-6ANS - Phillips LED Tape flicker / flash when off

Caseta Switch PD-6ANS - Phillips LED Tape flicker / flash when off

Hello,I installed a Caseta switch to control a Phillips Hue LED light strip. The LED strip uses a plug in transformer and does not support dimming except through the Phillips app.When the switch is off, the led strip occasionally flashes. Can anyone suggest a solution?Thank you.- PDF

Your switch must control power to an outlet? As a general rule, smart lights are not compatible with smart switches. Smart lights (like Hue) require constant power (an always-on switch for bulbs or always-on outlet for strips). A smart switch (like Caseta) still performs like a dumb switch with respect to power delivery - on is on, off is off. Smart lights are not designed to have incoming power turned on & off regularly - it's hard on their internals, and they can't receive updates when they aren't powered.What are you trying to accomplish by powering the Hue strip with a Caseta switch? Just plug the Hue strip into a regular always-on outlet and control it with the Hue app.

Thank you. I understand that this is not ideal, but I did not want to go to the expense of hard wired LED tape such as that from WAC at this time. I would like the led tape to come on with other schedules in my house. I don't think I was clear about the problem. The flash happens when the switch is OFF, meaning there must be some power leak even when the switch is powered down. Isn't this why there is the small tab one is meant to pull out before changing a light bulb, because there is some small amount of power still coming through?

There must be some residual power still leaking to the Hue strip, either through the switch or some nearby gremlin wiring connection - stranger things have happened. I don't think you'll ever going to get any consistently good results trying to control any Hue stuff with a Caseta switch - neither platform is designed to do such a thing. You can easily create an automated routine that combines (properly set up) Hue and Caseta actions using a hub like SmartThings or Hubitat, or even just a Google Home device. I don't know if Echo devices can do that - I don't have any. Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to offer help. I really appreciate it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions about this?

I've never had any success getting an electronic dimmer or switch to control a smart bulb. You could be getting some feedback on he neutral which will cause electronics to do strange things. If you want to confirm it is related to the 6ANS, pull the FASS on the switch and see if the problem persists.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you.