Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon Echo Integration

Amazon Echo Integration

I saw demo on the Amazon Echo. It can respond to voice commands throughout a big area, without having to physically touch it like Siri.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on integrating it into the SmartBridge. Maybe, some combination of an IFTTT recipe that combines, Alexa and Lutron channels? Like 'Alexa, send text to Home {previously defined by IFTTT SMS channel** To turn on kitchen lights'.

Maybe the new Apple TV will have similar voice recognition without touching anything. But, I don't remember seeing that in any of the write-ups.

On the new AppleTV, you need to hold the button on the remote in order to talk to Siri. Don't know if that might change in the future and it will start "listening" all the time, like iPhone 6s can.

Not only did apple not add Siri always on to the apple tv, you currently can not even control Homekit with apple tv.

Integrating with Echo would be awesome, oh and getting echo to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Not only did apple not add Siri always on to the apple tv, you currently can not even control Homekit with apple tv.

Integrating with Echo would be awesome, oh and getting echo to Canada.
    At a Amazon Echo kiosk, the rep explained that Echo has a IFTTT channel and maybe that combination could work.

As there is an IFTTT channel for both caseta and Echo, you can use the Trigger skill to be able to use some form of direct connection, although it is not very natural. You would also need to set up a trigger command for every single light and combination of lights. Alternatively, a Wink hub will allow for connecting Caseta to the Echo. So you can just say, Alexa, turn all the lights on, Alexa, set Dining Room to 50% etc.

I'll add my voice here. I've been slowly making the switch from a SmartThings hub with about 30 z-wave dimmers and switches to Lutron RadioRa 2 system, where I have about 16 devices so far. I stopped the migration when I got my Echo a few days ago. It's absolutely a game changer to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the outside lights" and it happens almost instantly.

If Lutron can't add this type of thing, I think it's a huge blow. I hate having a hugely expensive "pro" setup that can't do things that can be done a $200 system cobbled together at Home Depot. It would be like having a new expensive BMW and then seeing that your friend's Hyundai has far more cool tech integration and features. Doesn't typically happen.

I switched for the reliability of Radio Ra, but am starting to regret it when I can now control half my home with voice via Echo.

^^^ Ooops, sorry for that post above. It belongs in the RR forum. Mods please delete it, I'll post it fresh over in the RR2 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by msterling View Post
    I saw demo on the Amazon Echo. It can respond to voice commands throughout a big area, without having to physically touch it like Siri.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on integrating it into the SmartBridge. Maybe, some combination of an IFTTT recipe that combines, Alexa and Lutron channels? Like 'Alexa, send text to Home {previously defined by IFTTT SMS channel** To turn on kitchen lights'.

Maybe the new Apple TV will have similar voice recognition without touching anything. But, I don't remember seeing that in any of the write-ups.
    I have this exact set-up in my own home. You can have Echo / Alexa trigger individual circuits or trigger scenes you have already set-up in the Lutron app. I found it works best with scenes. For instance I have a scene for watching tv I called showtime.
    I set my Amazon Alexa channel on IFTTT to listen for the word showtime and it triggers that scene. "Alexa, trigger showtime" and it sets the scene accordingly.
    I have done this for several other scenes and it works flawlessly.
    some other examples. "Alexa, trigger lights out" will turn the whole house off with my All off scene I created in the Lutron app. "Alexa, trigger some lights" will activate a scene I made for when we come home and I want a path of light in from the front door to the main living area. You can use whatever phrase you want in the Alexa channel and link it to any scene you have made in the Lutron app through the Lutron Channel on IFTTT.

Native Echo integration would be very nice. Getting my Echo tomorrow and would like to not have to use IFTTT.

This is clunky and having Echo add a simple radio to their unit would make it better. That way it would be Echo --> Lutron. My issue with either of these is that neither do what my current Hub does. Based on time of day when I unlock the front door the foyer lights turn on. Something that simple requires a smarter Echo or a smarter Lutron Hub. Neither of these two Mfgs. have an end all solution. The world needs a non-proprietary Hub that talks to Zwave, Zigbee, Bluetooth, RF and WiFi devices. Or a Hub that that work direct with other Mfgs Proprietary devices as bridges. Lutron probably wants big bucks to allow Echo to communicate via a api to the Lutron Hub and Amazon doesn't want to pay or be responsible for the maintenance of the code.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast