Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Replacing old GE 3-way dimmer with Skylark Contour

Replacing old GE 3-way dimmer with Skylark Contour

I want to replace a 30-year old GE 3-way dimmer switch with a Skylark Contour CTCL-153PDH-LA dimmer switch. The old GE dimmer switch has no screws (wires come out of the plastic housing) and I don't know how to identify the common wire. There are 3 wires coming out of the housing, 2 black and 1 red. One black connects to white, another connects to red. The red wire connects to black. I'm confused.Also, there is no ground wire on the GE dimmer or on the single-pole light switch in the same box. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by larry64 View Post
    I want to replace a 30-year old GE 3-way dimmer switch with a Skylark Contour CTCL-153PDH-LA dimmer switch. The old GE dimmer switch has no screws (wires come out of the plastic housing) and I don't know how to identify the common wire. There are 3 wires coming out of the housing, 2 black and 1 red. One black connects to white, another connects to red. The red wire connects to black. I'm confused.Also, there is no ground wire on the GE dimmer or on the single-pole light switch in the same box. Any assistance will be appreciated.
    The wires coming from the 3-wire cable are NOT the common. You should have a 2-wire cable connected to the switch. This is the common. It may also be connected to other wires in the box (shared hot, etc.).

If it is possible to get to the ground connection, I would use it. Otherwise just cap off the ground.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks. A contractor friend came over last night and connected it. He was a bit puzzled about how the switches had been set up when the house was built 30 years ago, but figured it out.