Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MIR-1000MT not shutting off

MIR-1000MT not shutting off

So I've had the dimmer for about 7 years now. I understand it's designed for incandescent and not LED. However, over the years as the incandescent burned out I replaced them with dimmable LEDs. The final incandescent burned out. Now the dimmer will not shut off, just the low glow of the LED. I read in another troubleshooting post that since this is a digital switch there is no true on/off internally and the bleed through current is keeping the glow going. Is that the case here now that the incandescent bulbs burned out?Time for an upgrade? What model does everyone recommend for LED and remote control? This is a theater room application with 8 recessed lighting cans @8-10 watts a junction (LED)

It's a combination of things. The MIR series was designed a long time ago. You are essentially pairing 2020 electronics (LED bulbs) with 1995 electronics (the dimmer).

The MIR has a pretty high minimum load requirement. Probably 50-60 watts. I know you have 64-80 watts of LED but that might not be enough. Especially since the MIR does not have a neutral connection. I'd bet folding money that the system would work properly if you put single, 60-watt, incandescent bulb in.

Compatibility cold be an issue. Some LEDs just don't work well with some dimmers. To make it even more challenging, different model LEDs from the same manufacturer may or may not work. I generally have pretty good luck with EcoSmart, the HomeDepot store brand.

The "bleed through" current is used to power the electronics so it is always able to accept an IR signal and to power the indicator LEDs. It is not likely the cause of your ghosting.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com