Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Qsx , Lutron app

Qsx , Lutron app

Hi , i wanted to see if someone knows if the new Lutron app will have some more features soon? I have QSX processor but it doesn’t have the schedules working yet. I am about to sell a new system but i am debating if I should buy the older processor because it has all the capabilities. If the upgrades are coming soon I’ll go with the qsx but cannot find any information about that. Thanks

3 months later and nothing? Did you go with QSX? It seems like a bad idea to use QS, which is already outdated, but it also seems like a bad idea to use a half baked QSX. I'm starting to think it's just a bad idea to use Lutron at all...

Yeah I really want to know what's going on with the QSX app. I get a cold sweat when trying to explain the benefits of QS to customers over Ra2 but have to give the disclaimer that right now is a transitional period where QSX is the future but still doesn't have the functionality that QS does...nor will it get some functionality at all...oh and it has to use the Caseta app. It's such a mess.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for post SparkyCoog.
    |
    We understand where you are coming from and our teams are working to get the functionality of the Connect app in the new Lutron Unified app. The app that is being used for QSX was once the Caseta app but has been re-released as the Lutron. This was done due to the way integrations are done to the QSX platform, LEAP protocol integration. Hope this helps!

Thanks for checking in Josh. I just wish the higher ups at Lutron realize how much harder they've made our lives by not simply making QSX backwards compatible with QS. Had they just brought out QSX, built in the connect bridge and other cloud capabilities, added Ketra for whoever needs it, and added LEAP (which as far as I know has zero public documentation) and still made it do everything else QS could do (RPM, telnet, legacy keypad support, Connect App, etc.) it would have been a no-brainer to use it and feel good that the customer was getting the best of all worlds.

Tomorrow I have to go look at a LiteTouch retrofit job and am already dreading having to explain to the customer their options. I'm rehearsing my sales pitch:
    "I realize you are unhappy that you have to replace your formerly cutting edge lighting system because the company who bought it decided to end all support and leave you with an obsolete system. Rest assured, Lutron is the biggest name in lighting controls and they won't be going anywhere! They invented the solid state dimmer for god's sake! With Lutron, you will get the latest and greatest plus support for decades to come. They just came out with this wonderful QSX processor which going forward is going to be getting all the new keypads, major software updates, functionality, and major support. It's really great. They also came out with these wonderful din rail modules that can dim ANYTHING! The best dimming on the planet. It's so great that they are not even supporting RPMs with the new processor. You will absolutely love this system....IF you culd get it...which you can't. They only have one UL approved retrofit solution for you that makes you use the RPMS which are already going up in price and are on the way out and in order to use that, you have to use the 10 year old QS processor that also is on the way out. At best you MIGHT get some minor updates to it for 10 years...maybe. So your options are to A. replace one obsolete system with a soon to be obsolete QS system and save a little money; or B. completely rip out all the panels and spend a lot more money on parts and labor to put in new din rail panels and modules and go with QSX..which also doesn't have the same functionality....or C. Possibly go with the forgotten stepchild Radio RA2 and no panels. That would require a lot more labor to remove the old panels and put in junction boxes and not look great but will spare you of the other headaches."

If Lutron has a better sales pitch for LiteTouch people, I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Thanks for checking in Josh. I just wish the higher ups at Lutron realize how much harder they've made our lives by not simply making QSX backwards compatible with QS. Had they just brought out QSX, built in the connect bridge and other cloud capabilities, added Ketra for whoever needs it, and added LEAP (which as far as I know has zero public documentation) and still made it do everything else QS could do (RPM, telnet, legacy keypad support, Connect App, etc.) it would have been a no-brainer to use it and feel good that the customer was getting the best of all worlds. Tomorrow I have to go look at a LiteTouch retrofit job and am already dreading having to explain to the customer their options. I'm rehearsing my sales pitch: "I realize you are unhappy that you have to replace your formerly cutting edge lighting system because the company who bought it decided to end all support and leave you with an obsolete system. Rest assured, Lutron is the biggest name in lighting controls and they won't be going anywhere! They invented the solid state dimmer for god's sake! With Lutron, you will get the latest and greatest plus support for decades to come. They just came out with this wonderful QSX processor which going forward is going to be getting all the new keypads, major software updates, functionality, and major support. It's really great. They also came out with these wonderful din rail modules that can dim ANYTHING! The best dimming on the planet. It's so great that they are not even supporting RPMs with the new processor. You will absolutely love this system....IF you culd get it...which you can't. They only have one UL approved retrofit solution for you that makes you use the RPMS which are already going up in price and are on the way out and in order to use that, you have to use the 10 year old QS processor that also is on the way out. At best you MIGHT get some minor updates to it for 10 years...maybe. So your options are to A. replace one obsolete system with a soon to be obsolete QS system and save a little money; or B. completely rip out all the panels and spend a lot more money on parts and labor to put in new din rail panels and modules and go with QSX..which also doesn't have the same functionality....or C. Possibly go with the forgotten stepchild Radio RA2 and no panels. That would require a lot more labor to remove the old panels and put in junction boxes and not look great but will spare you of the other headaches."If Lutron has a better sales pitch for LiteTouch people, I'd love to hear it.
    This is me tomorrow...