Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro companion MA-R replacement with differnt wire connectors

Maestro companion MA-R replacement with differnt wire connectors

A Lutron MA-R companion dimmer switch in a 2-way system (two dimmers controlling one light) has failed. I purchased the same model (imprinted with Listed 6B38) to replace it. Expecting that I would disconnect the wires from the old companion and connect it to the new, I discovered that the old switch had 3 wires coming out of it, a blue and black on the top and a red wire on the bottom. The replacement switch, however has screw terminals, one brass, and one black on one side and one blue on the other. There is also a green ground wire. I can snip the wires from the old and connect them to the new, but want to be sure I am doing it correctly. Doesn't seem like it should be that difficult, but I wanted to touch base with someone experienced. So we have OLD non-functioning companion: Blue and Black wires on the top, and a red wire on the bottom. (This one does not have a ground wire) REPLACEMENT companion brass and black screw terminals on one side, and blue screw on the other side. Thanks, and a safe and healthy holiday and new year to you all.

Black to black. Blue to blue. Red to brass.

Ditto on the holidays!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Maestro companion MA-R replacement with differnt wire connectors

Similar issue but the original MA-600 single has two black wires on top of dimmer plus green wire to bottom of switch. New switch has wire connections on side. What happens if wires are attached incorrectly. I assume green wire is ground??

Some devices have 2 black leads or 2 terminals of the same color because it doesn't matter which one is power in and which one goes to the load. These are mostly single-location devices.

Some devices have a black lead/terminal and a red lead/brass terminal. For these devices black is power-in and red/brass goes to the load or next device. These are mostly multi-location devices.

Single-location devices typically have 2 black leads/terminals. Multi-location devices typically use the black/red scheme. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Green is ground.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Likes Chris M. liked this post