Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dimming a lamp with its own dimmer switch

Dimming a lamp with its own dimmer switch

Are there any special considerations for using a Lamp Dimming Module with an LED bulb in a standard table lamp with an on-lamp dimming switch? I've done this successfully with RadioRA2, just leaving the on-lamp switch set to fully on, but I am guessing that the dumber the LED bulb the better. Same with Homeworks? I noticed on the Ketra site they specifically warned against using their A20 bulb (that works with Homeworks directly) with an in-line analog dimmer.Thanks for any warnings, comments, or thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    Are there any special considerations for using a Lamp Dimming Module with an LED bulb in a standard table lamp with an on-lamp dimming switch? I've done this successfully with RadioRA2, just leaving the on-lamp switch set to fully on, but I am guessing that the dumber the LED bulb the better. Same with Homeworks? I noticed on the Ketra site they specifically warned against using their A20 bulb (that works with Homeworks directly) with an in-line analog dimmer.Thanks for any warnings, comments, or thoughts.
    Most dimmers have a preset high-end trim, typically 10%. That means you are already exposing the 2nd dimmer to reduced voltage.

Dimmers don't like to be dimmed. Putting a triac on the input to the 2nd dimmer will probably cause premature failure.

The dimmer needs to "see" the load. Placing a 2nd dimmer in-line, even if it is set at 100%, may cause erratic behavior like flickering, pop-on/off, ghosting, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Yes, you can safely leave it on all night, now the lamps consume very little energy.